Front brakes not working right

Benner1958

On the way home from work today the little beastie acted like it was losing power and took a long time to accelerate.
Stopped and did a walk around feeling the rims, both front rims pretty damn hot, back were fine.
Assuming hoses to front have collapsed, but any other things I need to check also.
Did all new lines, shoes and pads last year but not hoses, dammit.

Might be the brake calipers themselves. It happened to me where the piston on one side seized, and this was causing the brake on the drivers' side to always be on, thus causing hot rotors, smokey smells, and terrible braking.

It might be worth looking at the calipers as well.

or the rubber hoses are collapsed. The brake pressure forces the fluid in but it can't back out. My front right side got stuck like yours so I changed out both front calipers and hoses. Unfortunately I couldn't get the hose union off the hard brake lines and ended up cutting the rusty hard lines and changing everything from the brake proportioning valve on out.

Reactions: Benner1958
‘90 JY 2.5L
I don’t drive mine often and this problem occurred. When I applied the brakes the left front brake would stay engaged causing a very poor driving experience and a ton of heat. I looked at and replaced almost everything before discovering a divot where the caliper slides on the caliper mount. Couldn’t see it but I could feel it. I filed and polished the slide and lubed it with some grease. Problem solved.