Do I need new leaf springs?

rleveret

I recently bought a 1993 Wrangler. I looked up serial numbers on some of the parts and determined it has this lift kit on it;

It's old though, I'm trying to replace worn out parts and improve the ride as much as it can be. Are there any rules of thumb to tell if the leaf springs are worn out?

Springs will flatten out and the occasional broken single spring in the pack, Personally if your good ride wise, the shackles are not at some screwed up angle due to bad springs and your OK with clearance and ride Id not mess with it. New springs typically need to be broken and you might hate the ride if you change them. IIRC RE is now owned by the same jackasses who own Prochump. Id not buy diddly from them ever again based on personal experiences over the decades.

Reactions: rleveret
Thanks!

I just replaced the shocks and the ride is still on the bouncy side although it's improved a good bit. The shackles look good and none of the springs are broken. It sounds like they're probably fine at this point unless I just want to replace them?

I'm not married to the idea of getting rubicon express, but I want to keep the same amount of lift so I don't have to make changes to any other components. Any other 4.5 inch springs you'd recommend?

Thanks!

I just replaced the shocks and the ride is still on the bouncy side although it's improved a good bit. The shackles look good and none of the springs are broken. It sounds like they're probably fine at this point unless I just want to replace them?

I'm not married to the idea of getting rubicon express, but I want to keep the same amount of lift so I don't have to make changes to any other components. Any other 4.5 inch springs you'd recommend?
Judging by the little bit I can see in your profile pic, you look like you don't need to touch the leaf springs unless you just really want to spend money. These things tend to turn into wormholes when you start to fiddle with them, I would leave it alone unless you have an actual problem you need to solve. To be clear: ALL 4+ inch springs for YJs ride like buckboard wagons. The only suspension I have seen that rides nicely on a YJ is Old Man Emu, but it's not tall enough for your needs.

Reactions: rleveret
Judging by the little bit I can see in your profile pic, you look like you don't need to touch the leaf springs unless you just really want to spend money. These things tend to turn into wormholes when you start to fiddle with them, I would leave it alone unless you have an actual problem you need to solve. To be clear: ALL 4+ inch springs for YJs ride like buckboard wagons. The only suspension I have seen that rides nicely on a YJ is Old Man Emu, but it's not tall enough for your needs.
That makes sense, I appreciate the feedback! I don't want to throw money at a problem that doesn't exist, but if I can smooth out the ride more it'll be easier to get my wife and kids to go places in the jeep with me. :)

I'll hold off for now and maybe wait until I need new shocks or something else suspension related breaks.

You might want to check your shackle mounting, From your picture I think they are mounted wrong on the front.
1687205783758.png