Do all YJs have a particularly stiff / bouncy ride?

ArkyPaul

Supporting Member
Do all YJ's from the late 80's have a particularly stiff/bouncy ride? In 1st or 2nd gear going over a moderate bump in the road causes the Jeep to start bucking like a wild bronco. Foot off the gas and clutch is the only way to stop the violent jumping. It's actually a dangerous loss of control for a short time.

Do all YJ's from the late 80's have a particularly stiff/bouncy ride? In 1st or 2nd gear going over a moderate bump in the road causes the Jeep to start bucking like a wild bronco. Foot off the gas and clutch is the only way to stop the violent jumping. It's actually a dangerous loss of control for a short time.
The stiffer the suspension is, the worse that problem will be. All YJs do it to some degree but my ride quality truly transformed in a major way with OME suspension. Mine did the bucking thing pretty easily on stock, rough country, and BDS suspension. It still can on OME but nowhere nearly as bad and the ride is really smooth for leaf springs.

Why does it sound like you don't have any shocks?

Get quality shocks on it and it will ride a bit better. Keep your tire pressures at 24lbs or lower, let the tread wear determine anything lower.

A quality tire from a reputable brand that is C-rated is much softer and more forgiving than a D or E rated tire.

New leafs with a lower spring rating would help too, this will be dependent on tire size and desired uptravel numbers.

I also installed a 2.5" OME lift and witnessed a much better ride than original. Almost seems plush...