Diff woes (journey near the end)

EifelRon

I purchased this 94 YJ and have replaced the frame, removed the suspension lift kit but left the 2.5“ body lift and installed a rebuilt 4.0 to 4.6 specs. Now my front Dana 30 is leaking at the pinion. I have ordered for the D30 a Spartan Helical which is not delivered yet and have ordered and received 4.11 gears. Currently the gears are 3.07 ,the tranny is a rebuilt 32RH automatic and I have 31“ Discoverer STT Pro tires.

I will also have to replace the 3.07 gears in the D35 as well. But the question to you all is what with? I am not going to be rock crawling or mudding or punching the hell out of it. But I do not want to do this again, because I made the wrong choice. So I need advice. I live in Germany, so we get snow Jan through March, and rain is mostly in April and part of May. However, it is wet and freezes the roads at times from late November through March. I will not be driving it under frozen ice conditions unless there is an emergency situation. On wet roads, I will avoid unless the situation urges me to do so. I may drive off-road through trails occasionally.

I am leaning toward a TT, but need some advice. Have I already made a mistake by ordering the Spartan carrier?

So, what yee say?

The front spartan will be fine. Many like the spartan or positrax no slip up there.

I would do a truetrac out back to complement the front locker which would give you a capable mix of traction. For gears, if you’re gonna stick to 31’s, I’d do 3.73. If there’s any chance of 32-33, I’d do 4.10. You will be doing about 3000 rpm at 70mph/110kmh with either of those setups. Jeep geared many TJ automatics with Dana 44’s to 3.73 in 30’s, so what you would be doing is no more crazy than a stock setup. The revs are highish, but that’s just life with a 3 speed.

Reactions: EifelRon
The front spartan will be fine. Many like the spartan or positrax no slip up there.

I would do a truetrac out back to complement the front locker which would give you a capable mix of traction. For gears, if you’re gonna stick to 31’s, I’d do 3.73. If there’s any chance of 32-33, I’d do 4.10. You will be doing about 3000 rpm at 70mph/110kmh with either of those setups. Jeep geared many TJ automatics with Dana 44’s to 3.73 in 30’s, so what you would be doing is no more crazy than a stock setup. The revs are highish, but that’s just life with a 3 speed.
I like that suggestion a lot. I have 33‘s mounted on some nice Mickey Thompson wheels, just waiting for the Discoverer set to wear down. I found this earlier:
Posi Carriers - Dana - Ron's Machining Service.png

plus shipping and tax, gets me around $1k.

For what it's worth, I am 100 percent happy with my Spartan Helical LSD in the front diff. Just need to be extra gentle on icy roads. Don't try to throttle into a corner on slick roads and it works fine. Off road, it's friggin awesome. That thing climbes like a beast.

Reactions: EifelRon
Whoops, I saw the word Spartan and ran with the locker on the front diff. Missed the word helical in there. I imagine you'll be fine with that combo though, as stated above.

The gear package deal seems like a good deal. I run Revolution gears myself but being in Germany cost-efficient options are probably less likely, so for Germany that seems like a good deal.

I would definitely go 4.10s with 33's as the long term tire plan.

Whoops, I saw the word Spartan and ran with the locker on the front diff. Missed the word helical in there. I imagine you'll be fine with that combo though, as stated above.

The gear package deal seems like a good deal. I run Revolution gears myself but being in Germany cost-efficient options are probably less likely, so for Germany that seems like a good deal.

I would definitely go 4.10s with 33's as the long term tire plan.
Exactly, cost plays into every modification just as satisfaction. The shipping and 19% tax on both, item and shipping, can adversely affect ones decisions. But if it‘s only a few euros difference then it makes the choice clear. Yukon, I have heard of, but Elite and USA Standard, I have not heard of. Being this, the first time I have ventured into rebuilding axles, I do not want to risk buying something I will later regret. But I also have to consider, that i will not be going out every weekend in mud or dirt and likely never Rock climbing.

The reason for researching and posting here is to get your responses for advice into my decisions. This is all great input. I have watched several videos, BFH, UcanDoIt2 and many, many others. I am ready for the work requirement, I just have to make up my mind, which gears to buy along with the TT carrier. Only $60 difference between the Yukon and the two others, is not a deterrence. So, I am leaning toward Yukon.