Delete (remove) steering stabilizer?

redbullet

YJ Enthusiast
I just replaced my tie rods and drag link with a kit from Rusty’s off-road. Anyone running their Jeep without the steering stabilizer? Any issues driving on road or off-road?

Last edited:
I pulled and never put back the one on my 91. No problems what so ever highway or dirt. It did make the PS pump unhappy when it was 15 below here and I had to manuver it outta my barn in the am. That was with 150K mile old front end everything.

Reactions: redbullet
I pulled and never put back the one on my 91. No problems what so ever highway or dirt. It did make the PS pump unhappy when it was 15 below here and I had to manuver it outta my barn in the am. That was with 150K mile old front end everything.
That’s exactly what I was hoping to hear! Thanks for the reply.

Is said to be by poster that is stabilize for turning Jeep in turn. This make YJ Jeep strong like bull.

Reactions: redbullet
the ROLL stabilizer? #1? (not track bar, not damper )

this bar? #1 is best on road for sure,
it prevents huge body roll . if making fast turns, bar #1 causes both wheel/tires to squate as team reducing extreme body roll.
#13 is track bar, there is shock stabilizer too .
This car has HIgh CG on the road, so making fast lane changes for sure , others trying to hit your car driving blind, in to your lane.
sure if you only drive slow , most times it is not needed.
offroad it is hated.
so the off road guys, (wheelers) use #7 dog bone link that has special pins in it to disconnnect fast this bar.<mine

no need to remove, just upgrade it, and makes car more safe on the road .
View attachment 121783

View attachment 121789
He specifically said "Steering Stabilizer", or Steering Damper, if you want to call it that. The YJ has a very low CG for a short wheelbase SUV. At least in stock form. Yeah, you start lifting it, you're going to raise your CG.
What you're referring to as the "Roll Stabilizer" is mostly known as the "Sway Bar" in the US. I've driven stock YJs with and without the swaybar. I've never noticed too much of a difference. Leaf Springs are pretty good at stability on their own without sway bars. Once you start lifting it over stock and driving spiritedly, then they're much more useful. FWIW, I haven't had sway bars front or rear on my XJ in years, and it's my daily driver. But it's only at UpCountry height (1 inch over stock) so is still mostly at stock CG. If anything, it greatly improved my ride quality over our shit roads here in North Central and East Texas.

OP if you want to remove it (steering stabilizer/damper) you can. It does have its uses when encountering sharp bumps, especially off-road and if you have manual steering. Too often, the Jeep community uses it as a band-aid to help combat death wobble, instead of addressing whatever the real issue may be.