Dana 44 swap

I've had good luck with my 2007 jk axles D44 rear d30 front 4:10 gears. I got the set for $800 on craigslist. All I've done since is lockers, Aussie front and OX rear.

I had my D489 custom built by ECSG, I'm now in the process of building the D30 to match.
Both will be sporting over-sized axles and OXs, 35 spline rear, 30 spline front and 4.88s.
This is in prep for an axle smashing SM420 trans swap.

Reactions: Fouledplugs
To tag along.. New to bigger modifications to my jeep.. do I have to swap both axles this is kind of a daily driver still if that makes a difference? I plan on doing a dana 44 with an e locker or air locker dif for the rear, but nothing I read mentioned the front axle?

To tag along.. New to bigger modifications to my jeep.. do I have to swap both axles this is kind of a daily driver still if that makes a difference? I plan on doing a dana 44 with an e locker or air locker dif for the rear, but nothing I read mentioned the front axle?
There are very few front axle options in the YJ that match the width of common rear swaps. It’s usually just better to leave the front and build it up than try to replace it with something else.

That’s why when people say they’re building an 8.8 rear axle for 37’s, they’re mostly full of it or don’t know what they’re doing. While the 8.8 can handle the 37’s decently, the front axle won’t even fully built, unless you aren’t wheeling it hard enough to actually need the 37’s. The front axle maxes out at about 35’s fully built with a smart careful driver.

What Dana 44 are you planning for the rear? “Dana 44” is quite a vague term nowadays since so many different versions have been created and called that. I put a 30 spline TJ Dana 44 in the back of my YJ.

There are very few front axle options in the YJ that match the width of common rear swaps. It’s usually just better to leave the front and build it up than try to replace it with something else.

That’s why when people say they’re building an 8.8 rear axle for 37’s, they’re mostly full of it or don’t know what they’re doing. While the 8.8 can handle the 37’s decently, the front axle won’t even fully built, unless you aren’t wheeling it hard enough to actually need the 37’s. The front axle maxes out at about 35’s fully built with a smart careful driver.

What Dana 44 are you planning for the rear? “Dana 44” is quite a vague term nowadays since so many different versions have been created and called that. I put a 30 spline TJ Dana 44 in the back of my YJ.
To be honest I had not gotten that far, I have an acquaintance at quadratec whos quitting so I can use his discount. I was looking at the 30 Spline with an Elocker but im not sure how good the discount even is. Used might be cheaper and worth it. If you have a recommendation i'm all ears. And regarding tires sticking with the 32's I have until I need tires after that nothing over 33"-35" yet i'd need a bigger lift.

Depends on what you want to do with it but honestly for up to 35's, the Dana 35 can suffice if you build it with a Super 35 kit which upgrades to 30 spline shafts and uses a locker to get you there. Or you could get a Dana 44 out of a TJ, but they can be hard to find and expensive when you do find them. For your use you don't seem like you need to go that crazy, the front 30 and either a super 35 or D44 will work just fine. Front axle should be perfectly fine. If you want to future proof it for 35's, going with a 30 spline conversion up there isn't a bad call, although it means you'll have to buy a locker up there too since the stock open diff is 27 spline only.