Correct wheel for lifted 1994 Jeep Wrangler?

JaquesV10

Supporting Member
Hi all - I'm currently restoring a 1994 jeep Wrangler Sahara with a 2.5 inch lift (from the leaf springs - standard body mounts). The tires that were on the jeep are 31"x10.5x15lt, which I saw on other posts in this forum was quite optimal for that amount of lift, absent other mods.

My question is, what is the best wheel size for that tire? I went to NTB for their thoughts and they suggested that I would get a better answer from this forum because of the lift.

I would greatly appreciate any feedback.

Also - while wheel optics are subjective - any input as to brands to recommend or avoid?

Kind regards

JaquesV10

Reactions: Semper-Fi
I have 93 yj sahara with 2.5 spring lift and stock body mounts.
I am running 31x10.50x15 on 8 inch wide stock jeep wheels.

20230529_112619.jpg

20230529_112605.jpg

Reactions: 1992sahara
I think the wheels you have are perfect already. Aftermarket will pull the wheels outside if the flares significantly. I’m not a fan of that.

Reactions: Kelly Moore
No I'm not either.
These I like these wheels and the fitment
The only issues you should have with 31's on stock wheels will be the tires rubbing the leaf springs on sharp turns. You can fix that by adding a washer to each steering stop. Sometimes it might take 2 washers. No big deal. Beyond that, no problems because the 2.5" lift should keep you from rubbing flares or body. Might need a bump stop extension but unlikely.

I didn't catch whether the OP had a current fitment issue with the 31's he is currently running? If there is no issue than use your current wheel size as your guide. If you have stock wheels, you can search the factory width and backspace/offset. Thinking that the stock wheel was a 7" width and close to zero offset, maybe a little negative offset, but not much. To upgrade to a 8" width and maintain the same leaf clearance, you would want to put that extra 1" to the outside.... so you would be looking for a wheel with a negative offset of about -25mm (1 inch). If you have clearance to your leaf, say an easy half inch or so, then you can get a wheel with something like a -12mm offset.

I didn't catch whether the OP had a current fitment issue with the 31's he is currently running? If there is no issue than use your current wheel size as your guide. If you have stock wheels, you can search the factory width and backspace/offset. Thinking that the stock wheel was a 7" width and close to zero offset, maybe a little negative offset, but not much. To upgrade to a 8" width and maintain the same leaf clearance, you would want to put that extra 1" to the outside.... so you would be looking for a wheel with a negative offset of about -25mm (1 inch). If you have clearance to your leaf, say an easy half inch or so, then you can get a wheel with something like a -12mm offset.
He’s got an 8” wheel, YJ wheels were 7” except for Renegades. Offset on 7” wheels was around 31.25mm I believe, and 37.x for 8”. 5.25” backspace for 7” and 5.5” backspace for 8”.

He’s got an 8” wheel, YJ wheels were 7” except for Renegades. Offset on 7” wheels was around 31.25mm I believe, and 37.x for 8”. 5.25” backspace for 7” and 5.5” backspace for 8”.
My point is..... adjust accordingly. Doesn't have to be complicated.