Child Seats

Wadsyman

Supporting Member
I just purchase a 1992 YJ and plan to use it take my 4- and 6-year old grandsons to and from school. Before I take the boys anywhere my daughter will insist I have a safe rear seats/bench to accommodate child seats with a back (not booster seats). Since the current bench has a low back, I need to change this out for something with a high back. The current bench is as pictured. Any ideas for an aftermarket replacement bench/seats?

2C60E5D1-211E-40F3-A83C-CE66F43E01F3.jpeg

I know the booster seat wouldnt work due to no head support. But Just curious, is there a reason a Childs seat wouldn't work with the stock YJ rear seat since you have the shoulder restraint seat belts thats used to hold the seat in place?

I don't know of any seats that fit the back of a YJ and have headrests. Mastercraft and corbeau are the only ones even making back seats and they don't have them.

Because of the narrow size the only seat I can think of is something like a back seat out of a Rhino or other sxs. How safe they are I couldent say. IIRC they do have a significant head rest to them.

Thank you all for your input. What I realized is that I don’t necessarily need a high back seat. I just need a child seat with a rigid back. I did a little Googling and found this seat with a steel back. I think this will work!

BD945ACC-1023-4992-8851-2DE62FEDEF45.jpeg

Yep, that's what I was going to recommend. I had two child seats with rigid backs very similar to what you posted above. Those will work great. No need to replace the actual rear seat in the Jeep.

I know the booster seat wouldnt work due to no head support. But Just curious, is there a reason a Childs seat wouldn't work with the stock YJ rear seat since you have the shoulder restraint seat belts thats used to hold the seat in place?
Helpful response. Thank you.