Charging 19+ volts

yj93ben

1994 Jeep Wrangler 4.0 automatic A/C ABS. Put a Stroker in it. Now, it's charging way to high. Looking for any suggestions on where to look. Alternator and ECU are good.

You put a multimeter on the battery terminals? The PCM regulates the charging….not sure how both could be said to be good, the alternator and PCM are the only two items that can cause this.

Make sure your DVM is not reading screwy. I had a cheapo one that for whatever reason decided to say my truck was charging at 19 v. Other than that what Macho is about it.

You put a multimeter on the battery terminals? The PCM regulates the charging….not sure how both could be said to be good, the alternator and PCM are the only two items that can cause this.
that's what I've read everywhere. I've had the alternator and the ECM professionally tested. I'm not talking about an Oreilly's test, either. Well, I'll be testing again later today, after the stroker install.

DSCN0668 (1).JPG

DSCN0667 (1).JPG

that's what I've read everywhere. I've had the alternator and the ECM professionally tested. I'm not talking about an Oreilly's test, either. Well, I'll be testing again later today, after the stroker install.

View attachment 121108

View attachment 121109
How are they being tested? Not doubting that they are being tested….but if not tested for the right thing, the test may not be helpful (is all I’m getting at). For example, not sure if they’re actually testing the voltage regulator in the PCM, or whether they’re just testing the PCM to be “good/functional” in general. Pcm could be doing a great job at everything else but utterly failing its job at regulating the charge.

If you struggle to figure it out, there are external regular kits by Dodge that you could try as an alternative to bypass the PCM regulated setup.

How are they being tested? Not doubting that they are being tested….but if not tested for the right thing, the test may not be helpful (is all I’m getting at). For example, not sure if they’re actually testing the voltage regulator in the PCM, or whether they’re just testing the PCM to be “good/functional” in general. Pcm could be doing a great job at everything else but utterly failing its job at regulating the charge.

If you struggle to figure it out, there are external regular kits by Dodge that you could try as an alternative to bypass the PCM regulated setup.
The guy that did my ECM specifically tested for charging issues and other operating issues. I specifically mentioned the charging issue I was having. The guy is in Florida and I'm in Washington state. He also has 12K feedback at 100%. Well, All he does is automotive computers. So, I'm going to assume he knows his stuff.

Well, I dunno what to say, but YJs are pretty simple in the charging department. There are no other parts that can cause 19V to be the charging voltage except for a bad alternator or a PCM not properly regulating the alternator.

You are using a proper multimeter to measure this 19V, and you have the settings set right on it, correct? Lots of people see the gauge out of the safe zone and freak out but don't have a real problem, just a gauge problem. You seem more apt than that but have to ask anyways.

Know any YJ friends you could borrow the computer or alternator out of for some free experimenting?

On a side note, I am curious how you know it's overcharging with the stroker when it looks like the install of the stroker is not complete? I'm guessing you assembled the accessory drive just enough to crank the motor on and then tore the alternator bracket and belt back off for testing?