Carpet Alternative?

BeepBeepImAJeep

I'm in the process of restoring a 92 islander.
I have an idea of what I want to do for the floors, but I don't know what the product is called or how to find it. I've searched Google countless times but I guess my Google-fu is weak because nothing ever comes up! Many years ago I rode in a friend's Jeep and he had done the floors in this soft foamy rubbery but permanent stuff. It was waterproof. It was black. It had kind of a rough pebbly texture but not like a bed liner. It was soft. If I'm remembering correctly, I believe he told me it was some sort of a spray-in product, but I could be remembering that part wrong. It might have been a lining kit or a carpet kit of some kind.
Anyone have any ideas that might point me in the right direction? Thanks in advance!

Sounds like a spray in bed liner…I’m blanking on anything else it could be.

I get why people want to get rid of carpet, depending on the jeep usage it can get pretty nasty. I find that the floors are too hot for me to not have carpet. Bare floor with any kind of coating is just plain miserable to me.

Reactions: BeepBeepImAJeep
Sounds like a spray in bed liner…I’m blanking on anything else it could be.

I get why people want to get rid of carpet, depending on the jeep usage it can get pretty nasty. I find that the floors are too hot for me to not have carpet. Bare floor with any kind of coating is just plain miserable to me.

It wasn't just a standard spray-in bed liner. It was thick and soft and spongy. I imagine it would insulate against noise and temperature quite well.

Could it possibly be Lizard Skin? I haven’t saw it but have heard people talk about it.

I watched a video where they applied Lizard Skin to a jeep. It's pretty close to what I remember my buddies jeep looking like, but it isn't as thick. On my buddies jeep, it was thick and spongy enough that you could press on it and it had give. Maybe it was an older version of lizard Skin (this was 20-ish years ago), or a similar product.

keep the carpet, it is hard to maintain, but in the future you will be glad you did. good luck and safe driving.