Can I replace my catalytic converter with a cheaper one?

pigg

I am in the process of replacing the catalytic converter from my 94 YJ 4-cyl because of broken honeycomb chunks clogging the exhaust. I've thought about not having a catalytic converter and having a straight pipe instead. But I decided to have one. Now, Can I replace it with cheaper ones (< $60) with similar inlet/outlet diameter? or do I need to replace it with direct-fit ones? Some of these direct-fit ones are expensive.

It probably depends on what you state inspection requires. In Texas we don't have emissions testing for older vehicles so I went with the cheaper catalytic converter which may or may not pass in other states.

It probably depends on what you state inspection requires. In Texas we don't have emissions testing for older vehicles so I went with the cheaper catalytic converter which may or may not pass in other states.
Thanks.
Because of age of my jeep, emissions testing is not required. I will go with the cheaper ones.

I am in the process of replacing the catalytic converter from my 94 YJ 4-cyl because of broken honeycomb chunks clogging the exhaust. I've thought about not having a catalytic converter and having a straight pipe instead. But I decided to have one. Now, Can I replace it with cheaper ones (< $60) with similar inlet/outlet diameter? or do I need to replace it with direct-fit ones? Some of these direct-fit ones are expensive.
Take it off and "Hull" It out.....That way if you have an inspection it looks as though you have a operational converter in place.....
If you want to spend the bucks on a good replacement, I recommend these guys......Excellent quality and good warranty....

Here in Texas also. My converter was replaced with a piece of pipe by the previous owner. It smells different when running. Kinda like my old K5 Blazer did!

I may or may not have used one of these..............

However I've had good luck with older vehicles (mostly XJs) with using the 100ish dollar cats off of Rock Auto.