Can anyone tell me where these dash wires go?

Hallzeeyy

Hey I was trying to get my radio to work and was wondering if anyone knew what wires went where. I have a 93 yj that I got about 6 years ago. The guy who had it before must have messed with the wires. I attached pictures, the wires that are loose are the ones I had attached to the radio but have no idea what the other attachments go to. Please help!

658981A2-0FD9-49C1-B33C-82B9D7123FCE.jpeg

664A7040-3DC3-4CD3-9435-F3EF62E1DC8D.jpeg

34F87711-2597-46F4-BBB2-24E61063F444.jpeg

To simply turn on a radio, you only need 3 wires, the yellow, red, and black which are battery constant power, ignition power, and ground. The rest of the wires are speaker wires and illumination. Usually the power wires on the jeep are red and pink, so I’m not sure if the orange/white is correct. Depends on year.

A better solution than what you are doing is to buy a radio harness that adapts your stock plug to the new radio, but that can create wiring bulk that is hard to fit behind the dash. And you’ve already made some snips (or at least the PO did), so you’re kinda locked in.

What model radio is it? Some aftermarket radios support dimming the screen when they sense power on an illumination wire, but some don’t support that and don’t have the illumination wire. It’s a real nice feature to have if the radio supports it, hence why I ask what radio you have so I can look up the owner’s manual.

Speaker wiring hookup depends on how many speakers you run. Factory for most YJs is just 2-speaker, front left and right. Some YJs have a sound bar that makes it 4 speakers, LF, RF, LR, RR. The colors that are there on the factory radio plug need to be written down and compared to either the 1993 or 1994 factory service manual. The wiring changed in 93 so you could be before or after that change. Either way the factory manual will tell you which function each wire color is, then you match those up to the speaker wires from the radio owner’s manual which will tell you what each radio wire color does so you can match to the wire with the same function on the jeep. If you only have 2 speakers, then you don’t really need the wiring for the rears hooked up though it’s good practice to do them all.

Reactions: ACKyj
so the factory radio jack is ripped out and gone?
if yes the FSM factory service manual covers all those wires in chapter 8w, 100% free to read. in the sticky page
here Ill post the page, to you (I teach how to fish)
93 YJ , chapter 8
8F-1 audio
then 8w- 45 and 45 YJ
seen here

free.
45 and 46 covers every wire there , all cut up now

and this. missing now.

ok i merged them for you. a 3 way merge for you./

bingo, day1 new, not hacked this was IT ! still have speakers? and antenna.
Fuse 7?

4546.jpg

now shows names of each pin and the color all on one page, a gift to you

Last edited:
Reactions: ACKyj