Broken rear shock mount question

Gilaguy23

YJ Enthusiast
Once again I have a broken off pass side rear axle shock mount. The bracket broke in half more less and the metal just looks fatigued. I think its time to go another route and am thinking CJ type spring plate with shock pins type setup. However I cannot recall if the U bolt or tube size is the same on a 91 YJ as it is on a late CJ. Im thinking something like Omix 18271.14 and 18271.12 or the crown equavalent. It looks as if would put the lower shock mount pretty close to where the stock brackets or close enough. Your thoughts??

We had a highly molested 82 CJ7 for a year, but that was 8 years ago and I can’t for the life of me remember the details of it.

I believe the AMC20 tubes were 2-5/8. YJ should be 2.5”. If I wanted to do what you were doing, I would just get some u-bolt plates from Currie or Warrior that allow for a threaded shock or sway bar stud, and the holes for the u-bolts on those are usually slotted to fit different axle tube widths and corresponding u-bolts.

The good thing is that CJ springs and YJ springs are both 2.5” wide out back so any slotted u-bolt plate that is made for a 2.5” spring can work.

I just looked up the rubicon express kits for AMC20 vs YJ D35. Both of them are 2.625” x 6.5” u-bolts. 1/2-20 thread. Don’t know why they specify different kit for YJ Vs CJ but they are officially the same nuts, bolts, washers, etc. So get some spring plates for a YJ that allow a threaded stud for the shocks, then you should be good to go.

Am I seeing things wrong here on the RE 2050 plates?? I see what looks like the sway/shock threaded hole right in the center of the plate between the U bolt holes. Cant see how this will with a spring under but only on a spring over setup. FYI the Rock Jock plates offer a shock and or sway bar mount. Look similar but the sway bar ones use a spacer it looks like to keep things out from the plate. The Shock mount ones look to have just a stud and washer against the plate to prevent chewing up the shock bushing. They're also built with a skid plate to hide the nuts like others offered. Being a cheap skate there kinda pricey @ $165 though.

The picture for the 2050 is incorrect. They are the correct part. I run the rockjocks. I have used Both REs and Warriors in the past but use the RockJocks now as I wanted to unify my lineup when I did my axle swaps. the REs are perfectly fine. Look them up in the reviews, they are just like the rockjocks, although i can't remember but I think they use slightly thinner plate steel than RJ. Been a long time since I had the warriors and I don't remember how they were.

And yes, they all use a large ID and small ID washer. One washer goes on the fat part of the stud, the other goes on the thread portion of the stud. That way they can't squeeze the bushing too tight.

After my bent axle debacle, clobbering a shock mount, I thought about going the same way.
My D489 has 3.125 tubes, so I'll have to do some more homework, but I'm not a fan of the stock shock mounts either.
Keep us posted on what works out for you.

If I can ever figure out where I got these from, I’ll share the link. They work great on my axle if welded right.

C122FDCB-AA6E-4D4A-B741-87A613A7B0F1.jpeg