Brake warning light

Ken

1995 YJ.
My dash brake warning light doesn't come on at all, not with the park brake, not when the key is first turned on, not when the brake fluid pressure switch is activated. The brake lights work fine and the bulb is not blown. I require it to work for the safety in Ontario. any trouble shouting ideas would be appreciated.

Are you positive its not the bulb? if not that the connection or socket its in? My 91's 4wd and dash lights are pretty finickey at times due to a sloppy bulb sockets.

That bulb is powered constantly by the key. The 3 conditions (starting, parking brake, or leak/pressure differential in the hydraulics) provide ground for it to light it when appropriate. Make sure the power source is working, and then as Gila said, make sure the socket/bulb truly are good. Maybe swap with one of the other known working socket/bulb combos. Also make sure the contact ribbon that the bulb socket connects to, isn’t corroded or torn or damaged.

Same issue on my '91, but with the turn signal indicators, some times they work, most times they don't.
Planning a thorough cleaning of the ribbon and sockets when I install the LED idiot lights.

I believe I salved the problem. The parking brake and brake perisher switch were not grounding the light and it apparently only comes on while the key is in the start position at least on my jeep. I assumed it would come on for a short tine when the key was turned to the on position but not in my case.

Without going outside to my 91, yes, the brake and check engine light come on when the key is turned on. They stay on for 3 or 4 seconds then go out. The brake light should also come on when the parking brake is applied. There is a little plunger type switch at the P brake mechanism with the switch on it.

for me the brake light is tied to the cranking position of the key/ignition switch. It doesn’t stay on for a few seconds after starting I don’t believe. Next time I start it I’ll check.

My CEL comes on briefly as soon as I put it in accessory mode, and it goes off a few seconds later, after the fuel pump has been primed and the system is done with its brief startup diagnostics.