Brake upgrade

Piratesailor

Next upgrade for the 93 YJ is the brakes. It stops.. but not well. I’m looking at a double diaphragm MC as well as new calipers. What have other done?

I did the 95 4.0 dual diaphragm years ago and I honestly didn’t find it worth it at all. A good way to put it in perspective is the TJ comes with the same size booster as the 95 4.0, and they are still well known for the brakes really sucking. The problem is the design of the brakes at the wheels.

The pad slider ears on the knuckles always wear divots from the pad movement, then the pads get hung up and at that point the piston pushes on the center of the pad and bends the pad. It’s overall just a poor design.

One solid fix is to fill in the divots with weld and then grind them smooth. From that point they’ll never wear at the weld spots because the weld is much harder than the original knuckle material was. So at least that route is effective, then you can get some good pads like black magic brakes or similar.

Can also look into the Vanco big brake kit sold at black magic brakes, but it’s quite pricey. It does work extremely well though and it is a good value. New dual piston calipers that mount to a traditional modern saddle, new larger rotors, new knuckles that eliminate the crappy stock design. But, you pay significant $ for those improvements.

Thanks for this! I think you hit on what I’ve been thinking all along. Going to upgrade the calipers, pads and rotors and discuss the knuckle with my mechanic. I’ve read about the double diaphragm booster but had my doubts. I’m thinking the cost is worth it for the upgrades.. vs not being able to stop properLy. My mechanic only works on jeeps so he knows.

Thanks for this! I think you hit on what I’ve been thinking all along. Going to upgrade the calipers, pads and rotors and discuss the knuckle with my mechanic. I’ve read about the double diaphragm booster but had my doubts. I’m thinking the cost is worth it for the upgrades.. vs not being able to stop properLy. My mechanic only works on jeeps so he knows.
I don’t know of any upgrades to the calipers/pads/rotors/knuckles besides the Vanco kit from black magic brakes. Either that or rewelding up the pad slider ears on the stock knuckles.