Body Swap, could I put a 1988 body onto a 1993 frame?

jkaardal

I've Just bought my brothers jeep off him, he let it sit for way to long its a 1988 yj safari. the body is in awesome condition. the motor has a blow by issue (4.2l with the old peugot tranny). I have found a 93 yj with the 4.0 and ax15 tranny and am wondering if I can just swap the body from my 88 onto the 93?

The answer to your question would be "Yes"...the only variance would be the cut out in the transmission tunnel to the right of the transfer case shifter found on standard transmission equipped YJs in case your current body has an automatic trans installed. Also, a/c equipped YJ bodies have additional holes in the passenger firewall for the a/c unit compressor hoses that would likely need filled in or cut out depending on your current body-to-new body configurations...in the event your new body comes without the roll bar, the '88 roll bar is different from a '93 roll bar, but completely interchangeable...just keep in mind that the bars that attach the windshield frame to the roll bar are adjustable and are set at a specific measurement so that you don't tweak the windshield frame and/or body. Finally, make sure you perform the swap on a level surface...

...on closer look...the '93 is a donor frame, correct? Or are you performing a swap due to the better drivetrain on the '93?

• USA Proud
Reactions: jeepjoe43
Make sure you go to the DMV or an attorney, preferably first and sort out the VIN issue to make it compliant with your states laws.

The VIN is located in 4 different places in regards to YJ’s.

The Frame: n top of the rear crossmember.
Under the Radiator Support: A tag with the VIN stamped into it.
Firewall: Riveted and VIN is stamped into it.
Dash: Rivited and VIN is stamped into it.

Make sure you go to the DMV or an attorney, preferably first and sort out the VIN issue to make it compliant with your states laws.

The VIN is located in 4 different places in regards to YJ’s.

The Frame: n top of the rear crossmember.
Under the Radiator Support: A tag with the VIN stamped into it.
Firewall: Riveted and VIN is stamped into it.
Dash: Rivited and VIN is stamped into it.
Also there is a sticker on the door jamb on the drivers side below the striker plate. Terrible spot as the door seals wear into it. I just had to have my 91 Vin verified as we moved and if not for the sticker and the dash tag Id have never been able to plate it here. Ive read of others having issues as well due to the lack of legibility of the door jamb sticker.

im hoping to use everything from the 93 or as much of it as i can. ive got everything pretty much stripped off the 88. and just waiting for the 93 to show up. the electrical and the pcm i think are located in different spots. both are standard trannys.