AX5 tranmission reverse lock

bodean73g

Supporting Member
I recently replaced 5th gear in my AX 5 and now its locked in reverse. I went into the switch housing and used a screwdriver to disengage reverse and now I have 1-4 gears. do not have 5th gear however and if I put it in reverse, it stays in reverse and I have to go back down to the switch housing and disengage it again. what did I do wrong when I installed 5th gear? pics/videos to explain. also put a lock collar on the output shaft to keep 5th gear snap ring from coming out.

Attachments

• 158C3932-2617-4FB5-8CA5-6E88DEF5C215.heic
    1.4 MB · Views: 118
  • 6CC33988-2485-4977-9DF0-B0AF76BC8651.heic
    2 MB · Views: 109
Ugh. I hope you still have it out on the workbench. It's been a while since I had my AX-5 apart and as I recall both 5th and reverse are on the #4 rail. Did you remove any of the rails when changing 5th gear or any of the interlocking balls and springs? The reverse lever rotates on a post on the right side and I there's a few pins to drive in.

3.jpg

4.jpg

Man, first of all, thank you for replying to this thread!! I do not have it pulled out of the jeep. I simply went in through the Rear cover and replaced the gear. I did not remove the reverse rail but I’m certain i pulled it out too far! I have 2 detent balls and 1 spring lying in the rear cover. I’m certain one goes in the rear cover but the other I’m not sure. I know it goes in the intermediate housing plate (if that’s the name of it) but i need to know where to start looking. Would that be the reverse rail detent? Thanks again!!

Looking at your pics i bet i should start looking at the detent on rail 4&5. I know i pulled the arm out too far trying to get the 5th gear sleeve back in.

Reactions: Flyer58
Looking at your pics i bet i should start looking at the detent on rail 4&5. I know i pulled the arm out too far trying to get the 5th gear sleeve back in.
All the springs and balls are too complex for me to analyze why they were put there but I made sure to document each step and location of where they went. Most of my notes are gone now but I did use this Factory Service Manual found here in the Recourses section of this forum and it explains everything.

When it comes time to install the springs and balls just coat them with Vaseline to hold them in place.

Look at the 1995 manual in the AX-5 section around page 21-24 (Section 21) It should help.

Last edited: