AX-15 compatibility questions

Dirtbkr31

Hi Guys,
I have a question about AX-15 compatibility. I know it gets discussed a lot, but I can’t find a definitive answer for my situation . I have a 93 4.0. The tranny is bad and I already pulled it out. I’ve been searching for a reputable rebuilt replacement. I planned to change to an external slave so I considered just getting a 94 or 95 to avoid having to replace the front bearing retainer, here is my question. A 93 (specific) replacement is a month out for shipment. A 94-95 is 2 months out. A 97 (I know, not a YJ) can ship in 24hrs. What is the difference. Spline counts seem to be the same. Would the 97 fit my 93? I know I need the bell housing and the other parts to make the external slave work and that’s okay. But would the 97 fit? Mount up to my transfer case etc?. Thanks for any help…..

Looking on Novak site I believe what they offer as they’re standard new replacement will work in YJ and TJ. You can call them to confirm this. They’re brand new AX-15 in currently $1790. It comes with the external slave cylinder bearing retainer installed. Not sure of they’re lead time on one, but at least you can get your questions answered by experts on the subject.

Looking on Novak site I believe what they offer as they’re standard new replacement will work in YJ and TJ. You can call them to confirm this. They’re brand new AX-15 in currently $1790. It comes with the external slave cylinder bearing retainer installed. Not sure of they’re lead time on one, but at least you can get your questions answered by experts on the subject.

That's not a bad price at all when you get down to it, since they're new and not remans.

I dont see why the 97 up tj version wouldn't work for you. These get swapped from yj to tj and vice versa all the time. Which vendor is breaking it down by year? Have you looked at novak?

There is basically no difference between a 94-95 and a 97. The 97 comes with a curve in the shift tower base (the base of the shifter cane that locks down into the shift tower). The YJ version is straight, but like I said that's removable. Assuming you have your stock shifter, you can just install that straight into the 97 transmission shift tower or even bolt your whole shift tower down. The rest of the transmission like the bolt holes, splines, etc are all 100% identical.

The only thing is that you need to make sure you don't get one from an XJ. XJs don't have a bolt hole that the transfer case shifter needs, and they also don't have the right transfer case clocking pattern. The clocking can be fixed semi easily, but the shifter not having a bolt hole on the side of the transmission is a bigger deal.

Last edited:
Reactions: ytradio
There is basically difference between a 94-95 and a 97. The 97 comes with a curve in the shift tower base (the base of the shifter cane that locks down into the shift tower). The YJ version is straight, but like I said that's removable. Assuming you have your stock shifter, you can just install that straight into the 97 transmission shift tower or even bolt your whole shift tower down. The rest of the transmission like the bolt holes, splines, etc are all 100% identical.

The only thing is that you need to make sure you don't get one from an XJ. XJs don't have a bolt hole that the transfer case shifter needs, and they also don't have the right transfer case clocking pattern. The clocking can be fixed semi easily, but the shifter not having a bolt hole on the side of the transmission is a bigger deal.
That’s great information. Thank you!