Antifreeze Leak

Justinweber51

I have a 95 4.0 YJ. And I need some help, bad.

Last week I had an overheating problem out of nowhere. I was about a mile from home and had to stop, let it cool then kept moving. When I pulled in my driveway, the power steering was going out and it just died. I pulled it into my barn from there. Radiator, water pump, fan clutch and hoses were all original so I decided to replace them all. Got it all put back together, filled it up with antifreeze, got about 3/4 of a gallon in and it started leaking in the bottom of the engine around the oil pan. It’s just coolant, no oil mix.

Could this be a cracked head gasket? Freeze plugs? Something else?

Fire away!

Bad water pump most likely, in my experience at least. But, it could be any of the things you listed. I helped a buddy out with a TJ in college who thought he had a bad lower radiator hose because when he poured in any coolant, it immediately started pouring out from the front of the motor around the oil pan/water pump/lower radiator hose area. New hose didn't do anything to fix it at all. Turned out it was the water pump. We didn't replace it, he took it to a shop so I never saw where it actually failed to pour out coolant like that but it was the pump. They have weep holes on them but usually the weep hole doesn't let out so much that it leaks out that quickly.