Air Compressor Safety

Flyer58

YJ Enthusiast
I found this in a forum unrelated to Jeeps, the guy posted it after his friend was seriously injured during a similar circumstance. It got me looking at my 25 year old Craftsman 25 gallon compressor and I too found lots of rust on the outside and around the welded seams. I can't imagine what the inside of mine looks like. I pulled the plug and now will shop for a new one.
Stay safe.

My compressor rust...

CompRust.png

• Wow
Reactions: Chris
Yes and they don't make it easy for you to do that. I see there's a remote drain valve on a short hose that's available. I'll look into getting one.

Years ago I worked at an airport on the coast in Florida and they had a large old outside compressor. The mechanics noticed water shooting out their tools and decided it was time to drain the tank. The tank was about 5ft tall and the bottom valve was frozen shut so they unscrewed a plug about 4ft up the side and water gushed out. People who had been there 15 years never remember anyone draining the tank.

Reactions: Chris
Yep, I've heard of this happening before and you do have to be careful. as these things get older, the rust becomes an issue for sure. This is definitely a good PSA.

Not only do you have to drain them, but I also think at some point you simply have to replace them. To get 25 years out of an air compressor is damn good, but I would say it may be time for a new one. If I can pay $500 and have it last me 20 years or so, I would say that's a good ROI.