A/C Delete

Whiplash2130

YJ Enthusiast
Has anyone done Air Conditioning Delete on their YJ with the 2.5L 4 cylinder engine? What belt? Tensioner? Routing?

I answered my own question when I found this decal on my torn up fan shroud.
280F0ED8-EFF8-4169-A86A-FE9F3DCF7D34.jpeg

Yup, just a different belt, which you get when you go to the parts store and tell them about your YJ but tell them it doesn't have AC instead of it does. My compressor locked up on me 7 years ago and I've been running the shorter belt since. Finally gutted all the old AC equipment last year. I will be buying a JeepAir kit eventually though to go back in place.

It's certainly easier to work under the dash without the AC unit there, though.

Reactions: Whiplash2130
Most online stores make you specify A/C or no A/C and power steering versus no power steering. Most belts have part numbers that describe the length of the belt in inches and number of ribs.

Here's a screenshot from RockAuto:
Screenshot_20201007-104622_Chrome.jpg

So for example the Dayco belt for no AC and no PS is 5060695, which tells you it is a 6 rib belt with 69.5" of total length. The 5060715 (no AC, with PS) is 6 ribbed with 71.5" of total length.

Reactions: Whiplash2130
Most online stores make you specify A/C or no A/C and power steering versus no power steering. Most belts have part numbers that describe the length of the belt in inches and number of ribs.

Here's a screenshot from RockAuto:
View attachment 116330
So for example the Dayco belt for no AC and no PS is 5060695, which tells you it is a 6 rib belt with 69.5" of total length. The 5060715 (no AC, with PS) is 6 ribbed with 71.5" of total length.
Helpful

The belt tensioning is done by adjusting the power steering pump. Have fun with that. There's 2 small bolts on the back side, a pivot bolt and locking bolt, and a threaded adjusting bolt underneath that needs to free to move. Mine was almost frozen.

1.jpg