95 4.0 with auto tranny wire question

Strapmann

Frankenstein rig, and a long story on How i got to this point but lets just say i am setting this rig to be a factory 4 liter with auto trans. The TF904 tranny i put in is from a 94 yj. Vehicle engine harness at tranny has a plug with 2 wires (dark blue/white and purple). I have a Chilton guide and see the diagram showing which is what but the donar tranny has three wires on harness (dark blue/white, brown/yellow and purple) and a single wire behind this group blue/tan. 🤔

Can i talk anyone with 94/95 rig with 4.0 auto trans to take a picture of the union of these wires. Or give some advice on which to connect

Thanks guys i appreciate the help.

20230707_200700.jpg

Yes, and reverse lights. Problem is 4 wires on tranny and only 2 places to connect to on harness.
Look further upstream and find the oval shaped 6 pin connector. You can either buy the automatic transmission specific jumper harness that plugs into that 6 pin like your current manual version does, or you can snip off that connector and repurpose that connector as needed for the auto transmission.

That plug has a ground for the starting circuit (runs to PNP/NSS and is grounded in park or neutral which grounds the starter relay so you can start). That plug has an ignition power wire for reverse lights, it also has a violet/white wire for reverse lights (to take the power to the lights after the trans connects it to the ignition power in R only), and then there should be a 4th wire that runs to a case-grounded torque converter clutch lockup solenoid.

As I said, you can either seek out the automatic specific version of this harness that would plug right in in place of your manual version, or you can just snip the plug and extend the wires to where they need to go. All manuals and autos have the same basic wiring, and just a different jumper harness for the transmission. You are only seeing 2 wires on your jumper harness because your manual transmission only needed the 2 wires - ignition power for backup lights and power to the lights when in reverse.

Last edited:
This site contains affiliate links for which Jeep Wrangler YJ Forum may be compensated.
Sorry, I called it oval shaped but it's not really.The left side is the body harness, the right side is the manual or auto version. They rework what wire goes where based on transmission. For example, the manual loops the starter relay into a ground wire pin. The automatic doesn't use that ground wire since it runs the starter relay ground to the NSS.

1689773012241.png

Reactions: Strapmann
Yes, you are correct! What do you know... the colors all match what is on the tranny! Thank you for pointing out my ignorance, lol. 😆 l would like to say i would have fugured it out but i was completely over thinking it.
She almost there!
Thanks again!

Yes, you are correct! What do you know... the colors all match what is on the tranny! Thank you for pointing out my ignorance, lol. 😆 l would like to say i would have fugured it out but i was completely over thinking it.
She almost there!
Thanks again!
It's not complicated at all really, but I would definitely suggest buying the eBay harness I linked to make your life easier and to keep it all stock. I don't like to hack up the wiring unless there's a benefit to doing so.