93 YJ rear axle seals

Brian

YJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
I am rebuilding my 35C rear axle with a 3.07 ring and pinion. Don't have any issues with the rebuild except that it appears there may have been axle seals in the diff. housing. Just outbound of the carrier bearings the housing is machined out and there was traces of red (adhesive) there. I don't see them in parts breakdown yet O'reilys has ordered them for me. I know there are seals outbound with the bearings, but don't want to not put inner ones in if they are suppose to be there. Also what is the difference between a 35 and 35C axle?

Those aren't seals, that is left over sealant from when the tubes are pressed into the housing. There can't be a seal because the fluid in the diff runs down the tubes to lube the wheel bearings which is how they stay greased and rolling smooth for years.

Dana 35C stands for 35 Custom meaning it was not finished by Dana, it was "custom" finished by Chrysler.

I would not spend all that money and effort to stay with 3.07, that is a waste. They should never have had 3.07 from the factory.

Reactions: Brian
Makes sense but wasn't sure. Already spent the bucks on it now, but maybe later upgrade. Don't think you ever got my mesg. about my engine miss and ck engine light. Sounds crazy but saw a video where # 3 injector would overheat from the manifold and there was a insulation pad you could purchase. I wrapped a strip of gasket material with aluminum foil and formed a tube. put it around injector and now it doesn't miss when hot and no more ck engine light. Thanks for all your help today and in the past. Oh yea I got a used fuel gauge and that solve the problem with that issue

Never saw a post or a direct message or if I did, I guess I forgot but not recalling anything.

The injector #3 issue is usually on 2000+ TJs that have the newer intake manifold and the skinny injectors. Any idea if someone swapped you to that later version?

Never saw a post or a direct message or if I did, I guess I forgot but not recalling anything.

The injector #3 issue is usually on 2000+ TJs that have the newer intake manifold and the skinny injectors. Any idea if someone swapped you to that later version?
I don't think so since it was a greasy mess of an engine. I am just having fun working my way thru it. I pulled the rear apart because I thought it was just a bad pinion bearing. Come to find out someone had been in it already. Gear oil was super clean and all bearings looked great. Ring gear had some chipped teeth though. That was my reason for replacing. In pulling it apart the yoke nut came loose no effort and once off pinion fell into the housing. outer bearing slides off the shaft and the crush sleeve was never crushed. I am no expert, but someone did not know what they were doing. All together now with .008" backlash. I am leaving it that way and will recheck later. All I need now is to add the gear oil and put the drive shaft back in, but have had enough for today. You don't think I could have a 3.07 rear and something else up front? I better compare them.

Sounds like they really did not know what they were doing. Good it’s sorted out.

Definitely saying you couldn’t have mismatched ratios, though it wouldn’t come stock that way. No telling what PO did. From the factory, 4.0 coils come with 3.07 or 3.55. Typically manual was 3.07 and auto was 3.55, though there are exceptions. My manual was 3.55 and I know of some 3.07 autos.

You probably came with 3.07 and I bet you likely are still set up that way. No clue why anyone ever monkeyed around in the diff though.