93 Wrangler 4 cyl 5 speed. Transfer case

wtranch

Anyone know specifically what exact transfer case I need? Model stated 231 J. I have learned that that model number means only a little. It seems there are variations.

It is the NP231J, and there are some differences over the years. For a 4 cylinder manual, you need one with the 21-spline input gear. Meaning it needs to come from a 4 cylinder 5 speed or a rare 1988 6 cylinder 5 speed. 1987 6 cylinder were a different transfer case most of the time (NP207) and mid 1989+ 6 cylinder were all 23-spline. 4 cylinder auto are 23-spline.

It ideally needs to be from a YJ or an early XJ because those will have the vacuum switch and the synchro for getting the front driveshaft up to speed when shifting to 4H. If you used a TJ transfer case you would get a nasty grind at speed trying to shift into 4WD. the vacuum switch part is not a big deal, you just screw it in in place of the TJ electric switch. But I would recommend trying to find a YJ t-case if possible and due to the spline counts, it needs to be a 21 spline from a 4 cylinder 5 speed.