4.0 to bell housing bolt size?

bodean73g

Supporting Member
hey guys, I'm trying to attach my trans (nv3550) to my 4.0 (1998 Cherokee engine)..... what size bolts do I need to purchase. I bought these parts from different folks and there was no bolts included. something I wish I had gotten together when I pulled the engine.
IMG_7273.jpeg
IMG_6810.jpeg

Reactions: bodean73g
This site contains affiliate links for which Jeep Wrangler YJ Forum may be compensated.
A kit of old bolts on eBay will be best for this as well, as they are a bunch of different lengths and head styles.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1158548980...d=link&campid=5337789113&toolid=20001&mkevt=1

This one looked promising because it even had the starter bolts. Problem is, one of the long bolt’s threads are all FUBAR.
yeah but that kit is for a 87-95 yj... I have a 4.0 from a Cherokee and a nv3550 from either a TJ or dodge Dakota.... can't find that kit on eBay. I looked there first since you helped me find the bolts there for the transmission..... they came today and fit perfectly...

This site contains affiliate links for which Jeep Wrangler YJ Forum may be compensated.
yeah but that kit is for a 87-95 yj... I have a 4.0 from a Cherokee and a nv3550 from either a TJ or dodge Dakota.... can't find that kit on eBay. I looked there first since you helped me find the bolts there for the transmission..... they came today and fit perfectly...
They’re the same. NV and AX use the same bellhousing and as such, the same bolts, same block pattern, etc.

Ok thanks. I have all those in my 92 2.5 engine i pulled. I’ll try to swap em over this weekend
2.5 is different. Different block pattern and threads I’m pretty sure. They may work or may not, but I know the blocks are significantly different and as such the bolts may not work. For sure starter is different, 2.5 starter mounts to the block while 4.0 mounts to bellhousing.