4.0 Throttle body on a 2.5?

jeepjoe43

YJ Enthusiast
Lifetime Supporting Member
Stumbled on to a another forum thread about replacing the the 2.5 TB with a 4.0 and adding a spacer plate, supposedly adds about 16% more flow.
I'm just curious if anybody here has tried this?
We 2.5 Low Output guys are always looking for more...

Now,now...were told you cannot flog a 4 banger for another 16% of anything. ;) But...Im all ears on this one. I have read several posts saying the spacer itself is a waste. The bigger TB...who knows.

I've heard it makes no difference. I've also heard it does make a difference. You could certainly try and see.

I have the BBK 62mm throttle body on mine because I was trying to eliminate some low idle issues on my 4.0 and thought the throttle body may be causing trouble. It doesn't make the Jeep "faster" but you do notice a little pickup, mainly because the spring loaded throttle isn't as heavy so you hit the gas harder/easier, and because the slightly larger throttle body is shooting in more air with less travel of the pedal. So technically it does make a difference. Certainly didn't hurt anything except it made my wallet quite a bit lighter. Doubt I'd do it again but it did make the engine feel a tiny bit more responsive. Probably not worth $350 though. A cheap 4.0 throttle body on a 2.5, maybe the cost is worth it.

That's kind of what I thought, I'm not going to waste any of my time on it.
Like I said, just something i stumbled on.
Really can't complain about 125HP from a 4-banger, had it been 10 years older it would have only had 75HP.
The 360 in my '80 J20 was only rated for 150HP!

Reactions: machoheadgames
That's kind of what I thought, I'm not going to waste any of my time on it.
Like I said, just something i stumbled on.
Really can't complain about 125HP from a 4-banger, had it been 10 years older it would have only had 75HP.
The 360 in my '80 J20 was only rated for 150HP!
Yeppers, the dark years I refer to them as. We had a few mid 80ies chevy 3/4 tons to haul hay and animals. I think a 350 back then didnt even quite put out 150 ponies, pretty sad. Good thing was they last forever because the didnt make enough power to break or wear out anything.

Reactions: jeepjoe43
Very Sad, indeed. Thank You smog & CAFE regs.
Briggs & Stratton was doing better than that, They were getting 5HP from only 9 cubes, with an old school flat-head engine!
Those were definitely the dark years.