1994 YJ help

So this is your first vehicle? My advice, Leave it alone if it runs reliably.
If you want it to last on a budget, at least if it runs good, don't use it for anything but a daily driver.
Modify nothing but minor things until you get a feel for her AND have the finances to modify and make other modifications,.
Once you commit, she WILL require them .
Any modifications you may want to make WILL take you down a deep and very expensive rabbit hole.
Modify one thing, and EVERYTHING else will want it's own turn in line...$$$
Just the voice of experience.
Small steps, Grasshopper, small steps.

I agree. Try to hold off on modifications for a year and get to know your jeep. In that year inspect EVERYTHING and assume that NO MAINTENANCE has been done over the last 27 years. Digging into the service manuals and inspecting your Jeep will most like give you plenty to work on. Here is the link to the manuals.

https://wrangleryjforum.com/threads...uals-fsm-and-part-catalogs.27000/#post-428297

I would start with changing the differential oil. It is probably the oil that came from the factory.

Remember one can have a lot of fun in a stock YJ.

When you do start modifications I would suggest a winch as your first. IMHO it is the only mod that will help you get UNSTUCK. The rest of them just help you get MORE stuck. No need to break the bank with high end brands. A Harbor Freight winch will work just fine.

Above all else have fun. Take the doors off and go for a ride on a nice day. :cool:

Post pictures and specs in the Build Threads & Member's Rides section. I'm sure lots of folks would love to see your YJ.

..get a feel for her AND have the finances...
Once you commit, she WILL require them .
This also applies to Jeeps. :D

I say wait as well. You sure don't want to throw a lot of money at it, only to come to realize you don't really like it. (also if you don't, resist the temptation to try to spend your way into liking it)

Like a lot of things "upgrades" are often in the eye of the beholder. You can spend a lot of money making something worth a lot less to everyone else but you.

Spot on guys, especially the maintenance! Do the fun stuff first, the Winch is great first mod.
Along with things like bumpers, lights, creature comforts, really anything that doesn't involve the drive-train.
If you really want it to last, keep up with the maintenance.

Now we're all assuming your Jeep IS mostly stock.
It's difficult to find one that has NOT been molested, not impossible, but highly desirable.
That's why I bought mine, though I may have paid too much for it, but a clean slate was worth the price.
The "Mouse" (Mickey) had paid her a couple of visits, but nothing serious.
Her biggest problem has been Me...I just don't play like the normal kids when I wheel.