Whiplash2130

YJ Enthusiast
B11684B3-643A-4AC6-B681-2304445164AA.jpeg

5C775269-5B19-441E-9078-9CB1FBB428D7.jpeg

AE4E513C-EEEE-4271-894A-40ABC29A0B26.jpeg

D176E973-8E96-4775-9A00-86AE570876FA.jpeg

5255DD38-E144-4FDB-9CD7-BC32841F6146.jpeg

59327938-5CE0-42C5-A78C-75E7D5B7A2BE.jpeg

Wow, that's really weird....I had those EXACT same wheels and Kodiak Gillette ATs 31x10.50R15 when I bought my YJ in Wichita, KS in July 2013. When I bought the YJ from my grandma, I swapped them since I needed to drive it 12 hours back to Texas. Tires were from 2001 or something, so I didn't want a blowout. Any idea where those tires and wheels came from? Mind checking the date on them? I'm really curious if somehow my old wheels and tires that i swapped in 2013 in Kansas ended up on your Jeep in Florida, lol.

Nice looking Jeep though. Only thing I'd do to it would be drop the body lift and go for OME suspension instead. Enjoy your Jeep. Here's a pic of mine from 2002 with the old tires. That will be crazy if you have my old stuff.
IMG_1096.jpg

Reactions: Whiplash2130
Wow, that's really weird....I had those EXACT same wheels and Kodiak Gillette ATs 31x10.50R15 when I bought my YJ in Wichita, KS in July 2013. When I bought the YJ from my grandma, I swapped them since I needed to drive it 12 hours back to Texas. Tires were from 2001 or something, so I didn't want a blowout. Any idea where those tires and wheels came from? Mind checking the date on them? I'm really curious if somehow my old wheels and tires that i swapped in 2013 in Kansas ended up on your Jeep in Florida, lol.

Nice looking Jeep though. Only thing I'd do to it would be drop the body lift and go for OME suspension instead. Enjoy your Jeep. Here's a pic of mine from 2002 with the old tires. That will be crazy if you have my old stuff.
View attachment 116095
Cool! I will check for tire dates... but I do have smaller tires and wheels in the plan so if your really feeling nostalgic I think we can make a deal!

Reactions: machoheadgames
Cool! I will check for tire dates... but I do have smaller tires and wheels in the plan so if your really feeling nostalgic I think we can make a deal!
Hah! Thanks for the offer but I'm actually going up to some other wheels and larger tires soon. Just installed OME Suspension and a 1.25" BL. Going for 33's as my final setup. Should finally be great.

What is OME suspension?
Old Man Emu, a division of ARB. They make the by far softest riding (and very long lasting) suspension for YJs. It's pricey but just the suspension itself is perfect for a Jeep on 31" tires. Add a 1" body lift and it's perfect for 33's. If you're ditching stock suspension and can spare a few bucks for the best, I'd suggest OME and remove the tall 3" body lift you currently have (I can tell by the pictures). You can PM me with questions, I just installed it all on mine and can certainly walk through the details.

Old Man Emu, a division of ARB. They make the by far softest riding suspension for YJs. It's pricey but just the suspension is perfect for a Jeep on 31" tires. add a 1" body lift and it's perfect for 33's. If you're ditching stock suspension and can spare a few bucks for the best, I'd suggest OME and remove the tall 3" body lift you current have (I can tell by the pictures). You can PM me with questions, I just installed it all on mine and can certainly walk through the details.
I’ll look into it.

Hah! Thanks for the offer but I'm actually going up to some other wheels and larger tires soon. Just installed OME Suspension and a 1.25" BL. Going for 33's as my final setup. Should finally be great.
Just sold a set of 33’ from my Gladiator. They had 300 miles on them. That forum may be a good place to find tires and the like.

W
Old Man Emu, a division of ARB. They make the by far softest riding (and very long lasting) suspension for YJs. It's pricey but just the suspension itself is perfect for a Jeep on 31" tires. Add a 1" body lift and it's perfect for 33's. If you're ditching stock suspension and can spare a few bucks for the best, I'd suggest OME and remove the tall 3" body lift you currently have (I can tell by the pictures). You can PM me with questions, I just installed it all on mine and can certainly walk through the details.
What parts did you use?

W

What parts did you use?
4 36R Springs (Bought from Quadratec)
2 60099 Shocks (Quadratec)
2 60098 Shocks (4WheelParts)
4 OMESB87 Bushing Kits (Quadratec)
2 OMEGS11 Shackle Kits (Quadratec)

Sta-Lube Moly Grease to lube the bushings up. Cleaned all the red grease out of the leaf springs, bushings install into the leaf springs dry on purpose after you remove the red grease. You lube the inside of the bushings and the outside faces that go against the shackles.

Rubicon Express RE2500 Drop Pitman Arm (Amazon) to keep drag link angles happy.

Probably will want OME JWGK01 transfer case spacers.

I'm sure you probably don't have an SYE or double cardan driveshaft. To avoid driveline issues, you would want to buy the JWG0K1 transfer case lowering kit listed above to use with the shims that come on the springs you install in the rear. You'd want to remove the shims from the front springs completely. Lastly, you will need u-bolts. Just buy any decent u-bolt kits for the YJ front and rear axles. Usually they are separate by axle. Rancho, Rubicon Express, Rough Country, etc. all sell them.

Yeah, it's pretty damn expensive unfortunately. But this is seriously the best suspension for a YJ short of maybe ordering custom springs from a spring shop, which would be even more expensive. Do it right the first time. I started out in high school with a Rough Country 2.5", the bushings in that POS kit fell apart in two years and gave me crazy death wobble from bumps in the road that ended up killing my ball joints and tie rod ends. So, when I replaced the suspension, I still had death wobble being caused by the newly bad tie rod ends and ball joints.

When I replaced the suspension, I went with BDS (had good reviews). It was ungodly stiff (worse than Rough Country). I basically stopped driving my Jeep for a few years because of it. Finally put OME on it this weekend and man, what a difference. The forums always told me it would be night and day but I was seriously shocked. I've wasted so much money on the two previous suspensions, it's great knowing I'm finally on a good setup now.

Do all of the above and you'll be super pleased. Of course, lots of people don't want to put any money in a YJ which I can understand. Yours looks pretty nice though and looks to be worth having a good suspension on. Certainly if you already have to buy suspension to replace worn stock stuff anyways.

If you decide to replace any wear items, use Spicer for ball joints and u-joints, and SKF from RockAuto for wheel bearings. A 2.5" suspension on a YJ with 31's is a great combo. Lots of fun to drive, looks cool, handles well and not too tall to step into.

Hope that helps.

4 36R Springs (Bought from Quadratec)
2 60099 Shocks (Quadratec)
2 60098 Shocks (4WheelParts)
4 OMESB87 Bushing Kits (Quadratec)
2 OMEGS11 Shackle Kits (Quadratec)

Sta-Lube Moly Grease to lube the bushings up. Cleaned all the red grease out of the leaf springs, bushings install into the leaf springs dry on purpose after you remove the red grease. You lube the inside of the bushings and the outside faces that go against the shackles.

Rubicon Express RE2500 Drop Pitman Arm (Amazon) to keep drag link angles happy.

Probably will want OME JWGK01 transfer case spacers.

I'm sure you probably don't have an SYE or double cardan driveshaft. To avoid driveline issues, you would want to buy the JWG0K1 transfer case lowering kit listed above to use with the shims that come on the springs you install in the rear. You'd want to remove the shims from the front springs completely. Lastly, you will need u-bolts. Just buy any decent u-bolt kits for the YJ front and rear axles. Usually they are separate by axle. Rancho, Rubicon Express, Rough Country, etc. all sell them.

Yeah, it's pretty damn expensive unfortunately. But this is seriously the best suspension for a YJ short of maybe ordering custom springs from a spring shop, which would be even more expensive. Do it right the first time. I started out in high school with a Rough Country 2.5", the bushings in that POS kit fell apart in two years and gave me crazy death wobble from bumps in the road that ended up killing my ball joints and tie rod ends. So, when I replaced the suspension, I still had death wobble being caused by the newly bad tie rod ends and ball joints.

When I replaced the suspension, I went with BDS (had good reviews). It was ungodly stiff (worse than Rough Country). I basically stopped driving my Jeep for a few years because of it. Finally put OME on it this weekend and man, what a difference. The forums always told me it would be night and day but I was seriously shocked. I've wasted so much money on the two previous suspensions, it's great knowing I'm finally on a good setup now.

Do all of the above and you'll be super pleased. Of course, lots of people don't want to put any money in a YJ which I can understand. Yours looks pretty nice though and looks to be worth having a good suspension on. Certainly if you already have to buy suspension to replace worn stock stuff anyways.

If you decide to replace any wear items, use Spicer for ball joints and u-joints, and SKF from RockAuto for wheel bearings. A 2.5" suspension on a YJ with 31's is a great combo. Lots of fun to drive, looks cool, handles well and not too tall to step into.

Hope that helps.
Appreciate all the good info. However someone has done what looks to be a 2 1/2 or 3” lift kit and a 3” body kit. Handles and drives pretty good but squeaks and groans some. It currently has a set of 33x12.5x15’s on it. I’m planning on working with my local 4x4 shop to evaluate exactly what it has and what it needs. I’ll work from there.

Appreciate all the good info. However someone has done what looks to be a 2 1/2 or 3” lift kit and a 3” body kit. Handles and drives pretty good but squeaks and groans some. It currently has a set of 33x12.5x15’s on it. I’m planning on working with my local 4x4 shop to evaluate exactly what it has and what it needs. I’ll work from there.
I can see the 3" body lift. Damn, if those Gillette's are 33's, then you don't have my old ones. Crazy how you have the same wheels I had though and that super rare brand/model of tire.

Is the suspension mounted on top of or below the axles? it does look pretty tall, but your springs look stock and your shackles do too. so I'm thinking maybe they mounted your suspension spring over axle. Pics down below will always help too.

I
I agree. The comment about the lift came from the seller. If you ask me, I’d say there is only a body lift on it. The suspension looks stock to me. More pics in a couple of days.