1992 Jeep YJ 4.0 will not start

That's correct, but if you're not getting any bang on starting fluid and you know you have spark, I'd flip it 180 just to be sure.

Been there done that myself when I replaced the timing set and distributor.

With the cap off, align the timing mark on the crank with TDC. The rotor will either be pointing to cyl 1 or cyl 6. If cyl 1, rotate crank until timing marks align again. Rotor will now be point at cyl 6. Pull the distributor and align rotor with cyl 1. 180 deg change in the rotor position.

Wou
With the cap off, align the timing mark on the crank with TDC. The rotor will either be pointing to cyl 1 or cyl 6. If cyl 1, rotate crank until timing marks align again. Rotor will now be point at cyl 6. Pull the distributor and align rotor with cyl 1. 180 deg change in the rotor position.

Would it not kick back/backfire if it was 180 out of timing

I would describe it as a gurgling, or underwater sound. Mine didn't backfire or try to start at all, just cranked and cranked. But the sound was definitely weird.

Sounds like you had it in correctly to start with then. Not sure why it's not at least trying to run on starting fluid.

Just throwing out anything I can think of:

Is the crank pulley in good shape? If the outer ring with the timing mark on it separates from the inner portion, the timing would be off.

Try starting while slightly pressing gas pedal. If the IAC is stuck closed, it's not getting air.

Was it running before? Did you have the timing cover off to check the cam and crank gear timing?

Sounds like you had it in correctly to start with then. Not sure why it's not at least trying to run on starting fluid.

Just throwing out anything I can think of:

Is the crank pulley in good shape? If the outer ring with the timing mark on it separates from the inner portion, the timing would be off.

Try starting while slightly pressing gas pedal. If the IAC is stuck closed, it's not getting air.

Was it running before? Did you have the timing cover off to check the cam and crank gear timing?

It was running before. Timing gear/ chain replaced. I'm pretty confident that it was installed in time. Time marks lined up

with the gurgling /underwater sound , could it be a plugged cat or muffler? are you using enough starting fluid, might try gas to see what happens?

I have gotten it to hit off a few times but won't stay running. When it does startup the check engine light and maintenance light pulsate