1990 YJ won't go over 2000 RPM after having new tires put on

9nick0

I have a 1990 Jeep Wrangler 6 cylinder that has been converted to fuel injected. When I bought it I drove it home from a few states away no problems. It revs up perfectly in neutral with no issues but while in drive I can’t get it to go over 2000 rpm’s all of a sudden after picking it up after having tires put on. It feels incredibly sluggish in gear and it doesnt want to go over 45mph while it had no problem with 65/70 previously. Any ideas on this one?

I am not sure unless there was a drastic increase in tire size when you changed them out.

Edit: Oh wait, I thought I was having Deja vu. I am guessing you have officially ruled out transmission fluid being the issue?

Last edited:
If its a Howell kit most of the parts are Chevy 4.3 V6. you can also see the install and parts listing for parts. That aside what comes to mind is a plugged converter or the timing slipped possibly to start. Any funky odors like rotten eggs, dragging brakes, pinging or weird cranking over on starts? Auto or stick and how big of tires did you put on it?

Just a 2" change in size can absolutely Zap power.
Had a J20 I was running 32s' on and it was fine, went to 34s' and instant turd.
And it had a 360.
Granted a different animal, but same principal.

How much is the speedometer off since the tire change?

I just switched from 30"s to 33"s and my speedometer is off 8-10 mph.

This shows how much my final gear ratio has changed.

I have 4.10 gears, so it actually made it drive better, but if i had the stock 3.73, I would be struggling to accelerate.

I just ordered a 33 tooth speedometer gear

How much is the speedometer off since the tire change?

I just switched from 30"s to 33"s and my speedometer is off 8-10 mph.

This shows how much my final gear ratio has changed.

I have 4.10 gears, so it actually made it drive better, but if i had the stock 3.73, I would be struggling to accelerate.

I just ordered a 33 tooth speedometer gear
For 33’s and 4.10 you’re going to want a 35 or 36 tooth gear. 33 will be off.

Its an automatic 6cylinder, no crazy smells. It revs just fine at the throttle and sounds extremely powerful. Went from 31's to a 2.5 inch lift and really skinny 33's. 9" thick. Had the tires put on at the shop, they had it up on a lift for 2 weeks while waiting for a part. Never took it down. On the drive home it was leaking transmission fluid and hitting the exhaust. Smoke was bellowing out the back. All of the transmission pan screws were loose a half a turn so tightened up. Had that happen again 3 weeks later again so tightened up with loctite medium this time. Transmission fluid is full. Won't rev past 2000 without feeling like you are overworking it.

Bogs down on the hole shot. Doesn’t want to go over 45 and 2000 rpm’s but it will if you keep it floored.

Attachments

• IMG_8522.MOV
    32.8 MB
  • IMG_8523.MOV
    56.2 MB
  • IMG_8524.MOV
    24.1 MB