1990 YJ A/C pressure valve

AshleyBS55

I've been going through and updating my 1990 YJ. The air conditioning unit was a mess and we've managed to rebuild it except for a one-way pressure valve that is at the drier. They don't make them anymore and no one has an aftermarket brand. So the only way to get one is to find an old Wrangler ('87-'91) and hope they still have the valve. I've been to several. junk yards and people rip out the wiring and hoses, making it hard to sort through. Attached is a photo of what it looks like. If anyone knows of where I can buy one, let me know. It is the last fix we need to do to this Jeep after 2 years of working on it.
Thanks.
IMG_7361.jpeg

I've been going through and updating my 1990 YJ. The air conditioning unit was a mess and we've managed to rebuild it except for a one-way pressure valve that is at the drier. They don't make them anymore and no one has an aftermarket brand. So the only way to get one is to find an old Wrangler ('87-'91) and hope they still have the valve. I've been to several. junk yards and people rip out the wiring and hoses, making it hard to sort through. Attached is a photo of what it looks like. If anyone knows of where I can buy one, let me know. It is the last fix we need to do to this Jeep after 2 years of working on it.
Thanks.View attachment 122380
Although it wouldn’t be OEM, it is hard to believe that another valve could not be made to work if you just need it to work. If this is the case, let me know, I may be able to suggest someone in the Parkersburg area.

You might check this business out. They made the A/c in my 92 YJ. https://jeepair.com/
I've spoken with them (several times, including yesterday, and they tried to put a hose and an adaptor together, but it didn't work. Your '92 is the year they changed everything on the YJ's. So you can find the one-way pressure valves for Jeeps from '92 up. But they didn't make this part once they changed the a/c unit in '92. But thanks for your suggestion.

Honestly, right now I'm not sure, but I can find out. Why would that have anything to do with the pressure valve?
Yeah, this may be a problem. In 1990 it should have been an R12 system. R12 is outrageously expensive now if it can even still be obtained. A local friend of mine who does all my ac work had told me in the past that the systems that used different refrigerants are not compatible with one another. In other words, if I wanted the ac in my old Camero to work I was going to have to change to a new type R134A system. That was years ago, and I believe that system is also obsolete.

Reactions: Flyer58
Honestly, right now I'm not sure, but I can find out. Why would that have anything to do with the pressure valve?
Yeah it depends on who you talk to about the differences. An engineer in car AC design will tell you the valve for 134a has a slightly larger orifice than R12 because of the molecule size and higher pressures.

My limited sources have said they switched refrigerants without seeing any difference, but that's after a beer or 2,3,4, so I don't know.

Everyone agrees the two oils are not compatible and the system must be flushed clean before adding 134a and always install a new filter/drier. This means making sure there's no oil inside the compressor.

Reactions: ytradio