1987 YJ changing the automatic transmission filter and fluid

OldJoe28

I searched the web to find any," tips", on dropping the pan and filter on my '87 YJ.
Although I've had greasy hands for well over 1/2 century plus, still always search web for a ," refresher" and tips.
Not too much out there on auto trans service on my YJ, so I thought I explain what I did best as I could.
This is outside on driveway, chilly day.
I just got this," project Jeep" bout a month ago, start getting it road worthy by dumping all fluids.
Up on 4 Jack stands.No pic, I was tired, dirty, had oil on hands and arms. Just wanted to get this job done!
I started by loosing trans mounts bolts, ( not skid plate), almost completely off, but left nuts on, 2X4 on output shaft housing to protect it, jacked it up maybe 1"-1-1/2" ( where it bolts to trans).
This is to get at the right rear bolt on pan and a little room between pan bolts and skid plate.
There is a bracket that looks like it holds exhaust on in the way on the right side, no way to get that bolt out.
I took a BIG ," C" clamp and Pulled the bracket down against the skid plate, enough to get a 1/2" wrench and took that bolt out.
( You'll understand once your under there).
I used a 1/4" racket with a 1/2" shallow socket for back bolts, deep socket for the others to get them out,( take back bolts completely out, leave 1 real loose on each side and 2 real loose in front).
Pry pan down in back, bolts will hold it from falling all the way off and giving you a bath! Have a BIG catch pan ready, fluid runs out of everywhere.
Once it stops dripping, pull remaining bolts out.
Pan comes down, pull to front,( under exhaust pipe), and more to drivers side.
3 Philips screws hold filter in place.
Check the magnet for metal. Clean everything.
I tack the gasket in place, reverse dissembling when assembly.
Mine trans took 4- 3/4 qts of fluid,( type 4).
Start it up, go through gears, top off.
Took maybe 1-1/2 hours total.
Hopes this helps!
Joe
When you have a Jeep, it' s NEVER done! Always something to fix!!

Reactions: ytradio and Chris
For anyone reading this thread, please do not "pull" any brackets out of they way. The system is designed so that everything can be removed without bending or breaking things. OP, please download a service manual PDF and read it for tasks like removing the transmission pan, your YJ will last much longer.

Your transmission may or may not have a trans cooler. If it does it needs to be flushed otherwise you're mixing old and new transmission fluid.

Last edited:
Reactions: dodgerammit
Ouch!
I have an," official" Jeep service manual for these Jeeps, as well as parts books from the Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep dealership where I was Service Tech, later Service Manager for 34 years til it closed in 2019. I also have a Chilton and a Hayes manuals.
I COULD have followed the manual, ( you have to take into consideration when these were printed, that this was when they were shiny, not rusted, fresh off the delivery truck, a far cry from how this ol girl sits out in the driveway now)!
1) Support transmission.
2) I would have to remove the slid plate, held in place by rusty bolts threaded up into the lowest part of the frame where all moisture and debris collects. They sure didn't look like they would come out without a fight I didn't want to wage then.
3) remove the 2 REALLY flakey rusted exhaust brace bolts out,( the bracket I pull down out if the way), pull exhaust pipe mount outta the way.
Factory gave service mechanics 2.25 hours to service trans.
We were told a factory tech does this job quite a few times and the average time us what they list.
Very few jobs we beat the time by," doing it by the book"! I suppose if we did it 5-6 times in a row, we could have matched the time, but, the real world isn't like that!
I worked at that dealership on ,"flat rate". You beat that time and you got the $$, so, many flat rate techs will tell you, they have created short cuts. That's how you make $$!
When you pull down the bracket, your compressing the rubber mount, as I did, no damage was done. I compressed the rubber enough to get at that corner bolt the distance to JUST remove that bolt with a 1/2" wrench.
Service trans, and that job was done.
The amount of years I have been spinning wrenches should be noted here.
My father n uncle owned a Mobile gas station with 2 bays for repairs. I was @ 8 when I was allowed to help out, a teenager in high school, doing my share of mechanical repairs, when I got home from school,( afternoons I went to Vo- tech where I went to learn auto repairs).
6 years in the army as a ," Wheel Vehicle Mechanic", 3 years at a trade school when I got out taking courses in Automotive and Truck repair as well as Machinist classes, 34 years a a tech and service manager at a dealership that carried Jeeps.
I've rebuilt, restored cars, trucks, Jeeps, bikes, boats, since the 70's.
I've seem almost all, repaired almost all and along this road learned a few tricks I've pass on to anyone who would listen.
Just my 2 cents!
Joe

IMG_3221.jpg

Reactions: ytradio
Ouch!

I COULD have followed the manual,
Very few jobs we beat the time by," doing it by the book"! I suppose if we did it 5-6 times in a row, we could have matched the time, but, the real world isn't like that!
I worked at that dealership on ,"flat rate". You beat that time and you got the $$, so, many flat rate techs will tell you, they have created short cuts. That's how you make $$!

This. These statements right here. I've heard from so many mechanics as to why they did it the way they wanted to, when I requested something totally different. Too many times, I've been very dissatisfied by the rush job style repair once I got my ride back. This is exactly why I do my own repairs now. Even trusted mechanics I've used have cut corners on things that needed done properly just to save some time. The issue with that is, that cut corner often needs addressed soon afterwards.

The big issue now with repair shops is the company that owns them keeps crunching the timeframe unrealistically to do the repair. They don't offer the same incentives anymore if you 'beat' the clock. This has led to many good mechanics leaving altogether. That leaves you with the hack jobs doing the wrenching.

I've heard it said, "Nobody cares like you do." and that is true.

You can do a quickie repair and it be up to your standards. That's totally cool.

I prefer to do it right and do it once. That's what I want.

Should I need to get in later, I appreciate previous me doing things right and taking the 'small extras' like anti seize on threads, and repainted bare metal spots.

I've heard it said, "Nobody cares like you do." and that is true.
You can do a quickie repair and it be up to your standards. That's totally cool.
I prefer to do it right and do it once. That's what I want.
Should I need to get in later, I appreciate previous me doing things right and taking the 'small extras' like anti seize on threads, and repainted bare metal spots.
I totally agree and strive to be on the same page as @dodgerammit ... I directed my response at readers searching the forum in hopes others might take the long road. :)

For anyone reading this thread, please do not "pull" any brackets out of they way. The system is designed so that everything can be removed without bending or breaking things. OP, please download a service manual PDF and read it for tasks like removing the transmission pan, your YJ will last much longer.

Your transmission may or may not have a trans cooler. If it does it needs to be flushed otherwise you're mixing old and new transmission fluid.
You also mix in old fluid from the torque converter unless you pull and drain that too. I have never heard of anyone going to that extreme.

Ouch!
I have an," official" Jeep service manual for these Jeeps, as well as parts books from the Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep dealership where I was Service Tech, later Service Manager for 34 years til it closed in 2019. I also have a Chilton and a Hayes manuals.
I COULD have followed the manual, ( you have to take into consideration when these were printed, that this was when they were shiny, not rusted, fresh off the delivery truck, a far cry from how this ol girl sits out in the driveway now)!
1) Support transmission.
2) I would have to remove the slid plate, held in place by rusty bolts threaded up into the lowest part of the frame where all moisture and debris collects. They sure didn't look like they would come out without a fight I didn't want to wage then.
3) remove the 2 REALLY flakey rusted exhaust brace bolts out,( the bracket I pull down out if the way), pull exhaust pipe mount outta the way.
Factory gave service mechanics 2.25 hours to service trans.
We were told a factory tech does this job quite a few times and the average time us what they list.
When you pull down the bracket, your compressing the rubber mount, as I did, no damage was done. I compressed the rubber enough to get at that corner bolt the distance to JUST remove that bolt with a 1/2" wrench.
Service trans, and that job was done.
My father n uncle owned a Mobile gas station with 2 bays for repairs. I was @ 8 when I was allowed to help out, a teenager in high school, doing my share of mechanical repairs, when I got home from school,( afternoons I went to Vo- tech where I went to learn auto repairs).
6 years in the army as a ," Wheel Vehicle Mechanic", 3 years at a trade school when I got out taking courses in Automotive and Truck repair as well as Machinist classes, 34 years a a tech and service manager at a dealership that carried Jeeps.
I've rebuilt, restored cars, trucks, Jeeps, bikes, boats, since the 70's.
I've seem almost all, repaired almost all and along this road learned a few tricks I've pass on to anyone who would listen.
Just my 2 cents!
Joe

View attachment 122795
Hey Joe, you do things just the way I would.