1987 YJ Bellhousing Bolt Size?

wildphilhickup

Supporting Member
1987 YJ Bellhousing Bolt Size? There are 2 small bolts at the top of the bellhousing. What size are they? 9mm? I can't get them out. What to do?

I am not sure what size they are, but you can probably find an original used set on ebay. What do you mean by, "can't get them out". Are they not breaking or stripped?

Mine was a inverted torx don’t remember the size right off. I had to buy a set and end up cutting hole over trans tunnel to get to them. Was a real pain. I put a regular head bolt in the right length and tread size.

Answer: 12 point 9mm socket. This is what is needed to remove the two bolts. So, I got one off.
The other was messed up. So I drilled the head out with a 1/4" drill bit fairly deep. Then I drilled the 1/4" hole out to 5/16". I bought a set of Craftsman Easy Outs. Pounded one of those into the bolt hole. Then took a 1/4" socket extension and placed on the end of the Easy Out. Then used a large open end wrench to break it free. PITA!

Some previous owner or shop had already replaced mine with regular head bolts. I combined about 3 ft of socket extensions and a universal and got to it along the right side from way back by the transfer case. They all twisted like crazy but it worked.

Reactions: mburns5us