YJ won’t start electrical issue

Gilbertavila23

So I few weeks back I put new fenders on my Jeep YJ. The fenders are flat and have my fuse box exposed. While making a turn my tire rubbed on my fuse box and my Jeep just shut down. I thought it was a relay or fuse. I checked them all and they were good. I thought it was my neutral safety switch or ignition switch. So I swapped both and still nothing. I finally was able to get it on by running a wire from my starter relay to the positive Battery post. I could get it to turn on but only if I would hold my key to start position. As soon as I let go it would shit off. So I did more digging l. I was able to get it to stay on but only if I ran a wire from my fuel pump relay to the battery post. So I had to run 2 wires from my starter and fuel pump relay to get it to turn on.

Just wondering if anybody can help me fix the issue. It’s a 92 YJ 4.0 automatic

15D247CB-9BB1-47F4-BE48-16B964BA656B.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_0506.MOV
    42.6 MB
Seriously....that's what your left with after installing the fenders and you drive it like that? Its possible tire grabbed the F box and yanked a few wires outta their correct connectors? Its also not out of the question that one of the wires broke internally inside the insulation if it flapped around enough when driving it. All of the wires that were subject to dangling can be checked by lightly flexing them a little along their length. if their broke internally you'll feel a easier than the rest spot and if you gently pulled at either side of the suspected break the insulation should be able to stretch away from each side,unless it butt cold and the wires are rock hard. Id venture to say the problem lies in the fender/wire/fuse box problem, not on the steering column of otherwise. I also would suggest getting a wire diagram and see if you didnt have a relay fall out when it was driven. Cant compare it to my 91 as its a 5 speed.

Last edited:
Look under the PDC (that fuse box) and see if all the wires are still in their spot. If something was pulled and not repairable, you might need to grab a new engine harness which has the PDC built into it.

How did you check the fuses? Those two relays get their power through one of those large fuses....if they are now not getting power, then you probably have a fuse issue somewhere still. Some of this stuff runs through the dash glove box as well. There is a fuse with "dome" written under it that I believe controls the ASD and fuel pump relay. That fuse is likely popped, so check it.

And absolutely do not drive it like that...tire could grab the box, water could get in there, etc. figure out a new solution for mounting it to the new fender or something, but don't drive it like that. Seems like poor fender design.