YJ throttle problems

ditchdoc0331

Hey guys im new on here but im having an ongoing issue with my throttle on my 95 yj 2.5, so after a wheeling trip when i came back on hard top i noticed that when id shift into 2nd or higher and push the gas peddle it was like the engine was bogging down to the point of cutting off, i thought maybe the oem cat finally died so i cut it off ran straight pipe the problem persisted so i bought and installed a new throttle position sensor problem seemed fixed untill i had to go deep off road Saturday in some pretty muddy areas to pull out a friend that was stuck and yet again as soon as i hit the hard top same thing started again to the point i would have to shut off the jeep wait a few min crank up again to run about a mile to repeat the process over again outside of getting a replacement throttle sensor under warranty any other ideas that may help this has me banging my head bad thanks in advance.

Did you ever do anything to fix this? Since Mopar sensors are pretty much all gone by now, I'd go for the Echlin brand of sensors from Napa. I've used several and know others who have done the same and have never heard of a failure. They seem to be right on par with Mopar. I personally have had real issues with O'Reilly and AutoZone sensors, although I use other AutoZone parts and most are ok.

Did you ever do anything to fix this? Since Mopar sensors are pretty much all gone by now, I'd go for the Echlin brand of sensors from Napa. I've used several and know others who have done the same and have never heard of a failure. They seem to be right on par with Mopar. I personally have had real issues with O'Reilly and AutoZone sensors, although I use other AutoZone parts and most are ok.

i havent yet i will absolutely try that brand was kinda waiting to hear from some of yall for brand advice like what you said thanks for helping ill update yall this weekend when i get it and install

i havent yet i will absolutely try that brand was kinda waiting to hear from some of yall for brand advice like what you said thanks for helping ill update yall this weekend when i get it and install
Have you ran the key in the ignition trick for codes yet? Might as well before you throw money at another sensor.

I mean it could be a few other things too though. Crank position sensor, cam position sensor, etc. Need to read the codes and see if there's at least anything stored. And just because you don't have a check engine light, doesn't mean that there aren't any stored codes. I've had codes with no CEL.

Have you ran the key in the ignition trick for codes yet? Might as well before you throw money at another sensor.

I mean it could be a few other things too though. Crank position sensor, cam position sensor, etc. Need to read the codes and see if there's at least anything stored. And just because you don't have a check engine light, doesn't mean that there aren't any stored codes. I've had codes with no CEL.
ive heard of the ignition trick not sure how to do it

hey guys sorry its taken me a while to get back on here i have traumatic brain injury from combat in Iraq so my memory is crap however i finally found and fixed this issue it wasn't the throttle position sensor it turned out to be the crank position sensor bought a new on and instantly problem was corrected now looking to upgrade my alternator to a higher performance to handle my winch and lighting ive considered adding a 2nd battery just not sure the process to install a secondary battery for my needs yet. thanks for the advice

hey guys sorry its taken me a while to get back on here i have traumatic brain injury from combat in Iraq so my memory is crap however i finally found and fixed this issue it wasn't the throttle position sensor it turned out to be the crank position sensor bought a new on and instantly problem was corrected now looking to upgrade my alternator to a higher performance to handle my winch and lighting ive considered adding a 2nd battery just not sure the process to install a secondary battery for my needs yet. thanks for the advice
Good to hear on the fix.

I’d honestly not bother with a bigger alternator or a dual battery setup. I’d get a good battery (Odyssey or Northstar Group 65 is good) and call it a day. The battery is what handles the load during the winching. As long as you aren’t heavily winching back to back with the engine off, the stock alternator should be perfectly fine of getting the battery charged back up. Many many heavy wheelers run nothing but a better battery than stock (they typically go AGM) and most of them have no issues ever.

I've a dual battery setup with two yellow tops. Main reason of the dual setup is to have power al the time. When the car is off the battery's are separated. When I turn on the ignition the are coupled. I also can couple them manualy. When you forget the hood or door the starting battery drains, with a toggle of a switch I connect the two battery's and I can start.