YJ running like timing is out of sync

Nicklz

Sad Jeep
Supporting Member
So I have a 95YJ Wrangler with a 2.5 four-cylinder.
I purchased this jeep on Craigslist a few years back...... It turned out to be a crazy project, cracked bell housing, broken distributer, jumped timing chain, and many other fun projects.

so far I have fixed most of that stuff but at the moment it’s not running properly after 1500 to 3500 RPM it cuts out intermittently in between RPMs.
I checked and replaced all the Vacuum lines, Replaced throttle position sensor, Fuel lines, fuel pump, fuel filter, injectors, the list goes on.

I think that maybe the timing isn’t correct, when I put the gears back together I think it must be one tooth Advanced or retarded.

Any thoughts?

I put in a new timing chain and sprockets a few months ago when I rebuilt my 2.5L and it's seemed pretty easy to line up the two dots on the sprockets to ensure the cam timing was correct. But that's not to say it can't be done wrong. You probably know it is important to rotate the crankshaft in the proper direction (clockwise when viewed from the front bumper looking at the engine) to keep proper tension on the chain.

There is a way to check the valve timing without removing the chain cover. It's done by measuring the cam lift on the #1 cylinder INTAKE valve as the #1 piston is at TDC. You will need a dial micrometer.

This describes it on page 65 of this manual: https://oljeep.com/JeepEngines.pdf

Did you also check the fuel pressure at the rail?

1aa1.jpg

Reactions: Chris
Thank you for the input I’ll check that out soon! I did a pressure check a wile ago when I did the fuel pump, filter, injectors, and lines and it was where it should be. but it won’t hurt to check it again. Thank you again!

Reactions: Flyer58