YJ manual swap

dwoods105

I am in the process of manual swapping my 93 YJ from the (presumably) 3 speed auto to an AX15. The problem that I have run into is that it appears that the bellhousings don't match up with each other. I can't find any information online about this particular swapping process and I was wondering if anyone on this forum has any information that could help me

TIA!

20210710_112848.jpg

They don’t match up 100% bolt hole for bolt hole, but from a 4.0 auto to AX15, they will both bolt up. There is a hole or two in the manual bellhousing that definitely doesn’t correspond to a hold on the engine. I believe 12:00 hole on the engine does not have a hole on the bellhousing whereas the auto does.

as long as you can Get it bolted up, it’ll be fine.

On the manual bellhousing, you will bolt it to the engine at 3:00, 9:00, 11:00, and 1:00.

5:00 and 7:00 will use bolts and nuts to hold the inspection cover on. For some reason Jeep used monster 17mm head bolts and nuts to hold the flimsy cover on at those corners. Then at 2:00 6:00 and 10:00, those will be some small sheet metal style screws that also hold the inspection cover on, and they thread in from the engine side back into the bellhousing itself.

the two holes between 1:00 and 2:00 are for crankshaft position sensor, and those will bolt from the transmission side, and thread into the bellhousing only. The crank sensor will stick down into the bellhousing close to the flywheel and then will be fastened down using the screws into the bellhousing into the aforementioned holes.

And please feel free to add any information (parts, tips, step by steps, etc..) here or this thread:

I think it will be great to have a write up on this and I hope to help in the effort later this year. I couldn't find any information on the process as well. I found more information for swaping from manual to auto.

Thanks for the help. I checked and it looks like this will bolt right up, I am doing it today. I will be sure to try to add pertinent information.