YJ Axles, should I replace them?

alchez

Hi All, I have a 94 YJ 2.5L only Mods are 4inch lift and 33’s.

I am thinking of new gears and lockers (front and rear). What I need help with is should I replace the axles?

I read some concerns about the Dana 30 & 35 and don't want to do the gears and lockers if I will need to replace the axles down the road.

If I should replace the axles what are my options/your suggestions?

Thanks for the help!

What are you looking to do with the vehicle for the most part? Are you going to be doing mudding? Rock crawling? What type of driving are you going to do?

thanks for the reply, a bit of both but nothing extreem not looking to put a cage it it yet, weekend warrior stuff. I would lean more to a crawler. I am not looking to replace the leafs yet either. Also, this is not my daily driver and will see little to no pavement.

The TJ Dana 30 can be modified with chromoly axles to support up to 35 inch tires. The factory YJ Dana 30 front axle is high pinion, so its perfect for a front end. The unit bearings from the factory are nice and easy to replace in a pinch.

The only, "downfall," to the YJ Dana 30 is the front axle disconnect which uses a pump to connect the two front passenger side axle shafts. A 1 piece shaft has it benefits over the factory 2 piece.

If you're going to keep it on 33's or go up to a 35" max tire size, the Dana 30 should be ok for you, since you mentioned you are just starting out.

The rear Dana 35 just doesn't last when a locker is added to the diff. So if you are planning on going that route, I would advocate for a, "Super 35," build.

The Super35 is simply a 30 spline locker that replaces the smaller factory 27 spline diff. Once you've upgraded to a 30 spline locker of your choice, you will need 30 spline shafts. Revolution Axle sells a complete kit that includes 30 spline shafts and a locker, with you choosing as Detroit or an ARB air locker. The Revolution kit utlizes Chinese built shafts, if you want American made shafts, choose Dutchman Axle. They offer 30 spline shafts with any lug pattern you desire to include the factory lug pattern to match the front.

The 30 spline chromoly shafts are 1.31 inches in diameter versus the 1.18 inch factory shafts.

Stick with 1541 material not 4340 when shopping for Dana 35 aftermarket axle shafts.

The C-Clip is retained in the, "Super35," build, as it is a non-issue when it comes to the Dana 35 weakness.

If you want aftermarket axles, Dynatrac is the only aftermarket axle manufacture that offers a spring under front Dana 44. Going this route would be expensive if you are on a limited budget. However, if you were to pull the trigger on a Dynatrac "Dana" 44 front and/or rear and you would have complete confidence on any trail for 33 inch tires up to 35 inch tires.

Dynatrac's axle housing are 100% made in the USA from 100% US sourced materials.

Reactions: RoxxRocks
Toss the 35, don't waste a dime it!
Bent the drivers side tube at the shock mount and didn't even know it.
Did it on my first real 4x4 trip with my YJ only to discover it 2 years later while doing the SYE and new drivelines.
Had unrelated driveabiity issues on that trip and have driven less than 100 miles since I bought it. :(
Discovered the lunchbox locker would only disengage on the road under heavy steering loads, unpredictably so.
Not Acceptable. After inspection, all it took was a 1/16", Locker out, spideys back in.

I'm taking a chance on an ECGS Dana 489, (which won't deliver 'til mid April) basically a custom D44 for a JK Rubicon.
35 spline chromo axles
3", 1/2 wall tubes
8.89" Ring gear
Which I opted for 4.88s and a cable shift OX Locker.
Wanted a Detroit Tru Trac, but I guess there aren't many options with 35 spline axles.

I'll have to do a gear swap in the 30, but now the D489 has me thinking about a SM420 swap.
Loved it in the flatty, I HATE the AX5.

Reactions: RoxxRocks