WJ Power steering return hose question

kjmagsig

I have a 2006 Grand Cherokee with the 5.7 liter Hemi engine. This is my daily deriver when I'm not in my YJ. This morning one of the power steering return lines popped off. I say "one of" because it looks like the return line is made up of two lines, but I'm not a mechanic by trade or training. The line that popped off comes from the passenger side (does this jeep have two steering gear boxes, or is it just located on the passenger side?) It comes from the gear box, then connects to something right under the fan. A second line comes out of that same box and, I think goes up to the reservoir. The lines are metal where they attach to the "box" and rubber the rest of the way. I'm pretty sure this is not the pressure line. Anyway, the line popped out of the nut that fastens to that little "box". When I took the nut off and looked at it and the line, nothing is broken, it looks like the line is a press fit into the nut. So I pressed it back together by hand and fastened it back to the "box", refilled the power steering fluid and it is working. Trouble is, that metal line doesn't seem to be tight in the nut that fastens it to the "box", while the other one that is attached there is. I figure something is warn out and it will probably pop apart again, maybe soon. I've looked for replacement hoses, but I haven't seen anything that looks like what I'm seeing under there. I'd really like to avoid taking it to a mechanic if I can. This hose is really easy to get to, so I can change it myself, if I know what part I'm looking for. Does anyone out here have any experience with this set up on a WJ?

Thanks in advance!!

If im understanding you the pressure hose that you define as not getting tight with the nut tightened up is normal like that. There is a pressure line with high pressure fittings and hose from the pump to the steering box. The return line is typically just hose clamped using non pressure hoses or clamps. The little box you refer to is hard to guess without a picture. Are you describing the reservoir or perhaps it has a PS fluid cooler in line from the factory or somebody added one. When you say line coming from the passenger side it sounds like your describing the auto trans fluid cooler built into the radiator. Typically they are atthe bottom at either side of the rad or sometimes the coolers are built in to the rad in a up/down fashion and the cooler lines are on one side top and bottom of the radiator. Pics would be helpful if you havent figured it out yet.

It is definitely power steering. After it disconnected, and the power steering ran completely out of fluid, I added more and it squirted out of that hose, so it is the power steering. It could be a cooler, but I honestly don't know. There are two lines connected there, the one that fell apart is loos in the fitting, the other is tight, so I'm pretty sure the one I put back together is going to fall apart again, I just don't know how soon. I know it's not the reservoir, that's a the top-left side of the engine. This really has me mystified. I haven't taken any pictures yet because I'm in Wisconsin and don't have a heated garage to work in. I didn't want to spend any more time than I absolutely had to out there. I was hoping someone might be familiar with the WK and could point me in the right direction. I can't even find any diagrams online.

Gilaguy23, thanks for your suggestions. I appreciate it. I'm hoping it warms up enough to be able to pull the line off so I can order a new one.