Why does my 6-cylinder YJ run rough?

fxhawg

WHY DOES MY 258 6 CYL RUN LIKE IT HAS A REV LIMITER ON IT LIKE ITS FLOATING THE LIFTERS

Numerous answers without more info. needs a tune up, carb spent, timing off. Do you have a tach installed and if so what rpm does it peter out? Remember Its like the EVO your riding, low rpm grunt.

Last edited:
Numerous answers without more info. needs a tune up, carb spent, timing off. Do you have a tach installed and if so what rpm does it peter out? Remember Its like the EVO your riding, low rpm grunt.
it only do it 1st n second gear step down on it it do it in first shift in 2nd and when u get on it it does it not so much in 3rd 4th or 5th weber carb i been putting vaccum lines back were they go seems to be a little better and it does spudder like rev limiter on my evo actualy i can live with it im just glad i got power steering now that armstrong steering wasnt going work for me i may try put gm hei dist with bigger cap was told that may help

i like the old rusty beast drives like shit rides like shit just what i was lookin 4 it runs perfect except for rev limiter i cant seem get rid of i pulled plugs out they burning perfect still look new after 1000 miles

jeep.JPG

Not sure what year your rig is so smog equipment will differ. The late 258's were a mess IMO with smog crap. If its right it obviously should not be sputtering as you mentioned. Bad plug wires?? pop the hood at night and take a spray bottle and lightly hit them and look for arching. Vacuum leaks will do bad things. Leaking EGR valve will make it idle and run crappy, plugged fuel filter may be starving it for fuel. Plugs look right on the money you say eh?? not to lean or black from rich running. Looks like OE springs still which makes it ride like a buckboard. Gotta dump the home made evil eye brows mang. Thats like voodoo on a jeep.

Not sure what year your rig is so smog equipment will differ. The late 258's were a mess IMO with smog crap. If its right it obviously should not be sputtering as you mentioned. Bad plug wires?? pop the hood at night and take a spray bottle and lightly hit them and look for arching. Vacuum leaks will do bad things. Leaking EGR valve will make it idle and run crappy, plugged fuel filter may be starving it for fuel. Plugs look right on the money you say eh?? not to lean or black from rich running. Looks like OE springs still which makes it ride like a buckboard. Gotta dump the home made evil eye brows mang. Thats like voodoo on a jeep.
the front has been reverse shackled it drives pretty fair bumps are rough. fuel filter get 1 now thanks for your tip and time plug wires look new i let u know how went

The pic is kinda dark and it looked like stock stuff. Time for some shocks maybe??
replaced fuel filter i found vacuum line behind carb was split n rotten took care of spuddering issue its got more power now runs smooth at all rpms