What is this?

BLKDOG

Hello YJ Forum!

New to the group and new, since May, owner. I have a 95 Wrangler YJ and have been cleaning, repairing, and learning from all kinds of resources out there. I have not been able to find out information on the item in the picture. This is a picture on the inside, passenger side, just above the floor. Does anyone know what this is? I think it may be something for the air intake of the AC? (Yes, I have a 95 with AC!) More importantly, my real question is this -- in the picture you can see through the vents because i have removed the damper plate that lies right behind it. The damper opens and closes against those vents with some sort of filter attached to it. The reason I took it apart was that it must have been original and was just disintegrating at the touch.

I assume there is no chance of finding a replacement filter, cushion, or whatever it was...so is it really needed? Should I just make one by gluing some type of filter material back on the plate? Thanks for any and all info Jeepsters!

Jeep.jpg

Thats your "vent". It opens and closes as you slide the lever to "VENT" on the heater controls.

Have a look at:

on this site. Administrator Chris put together an excellent description of this ventilation system.

Reactions: Fouledplugs
That would be the vent and blower motor, aka 'squirrel cage' for the heat and vent functions. If you notice, the vent is part of a larger duct assembly that extends from the passenger side footwell to just behind the ashtray. Inside the duct on the passenger side is the heater core, the blower motor pulls air across the heater core and directs heated air through the vents when the environmental panel temperature control lever is positioned to 'Heat'. The baffle that you removed directs the air or cuts it off depending on control lever position. The A/C unit controls are complete!y independent of the environmental control panel with an independent venting set-up...