What gear should my 92 yj 5 speed be in to tow

Kkelly66

I'm going to tow my 92 yj 5 speed behind my RV. I read the transfer case in neutral and tranny in any gear. But when I do that it won't roll freely. I put both in neutral and it rolls freely. What's the correct way to tow it ? Thanks

Correct is transfer case in neutral and trans in gear. If it won’t roll you probably have something wrong, like the transfer case isn’t going into neutral properly. If you put it into neutral and trans in 1st, will it drive?

Correct is transfer case in neutral and trans in gear. If it won’t roll you probably have something wrong, like the transfer case isn’t going into neutral properly. If you put it into neutral and trans in 1st, will it drive?
Went out and checked it out. I had it in 4H, which kinda feels like neutral to me. Found neutral! Problem is that when I go into 4L I hit my elbow on the nice metal box the previous owner put between the seats. Thanks for the response!

Reactions: machoheadgames
We’ve been flat towing our ‘95 YJ for several months. Along with setting the t-case to neutral, shift the trans into a higher gear. I use 5th if I can get it in there. This way if the t-case decides to engage while you’re towing at 65 mph, you don’t end up spinning the engine at 20K rpm like you would in first gear.
I’ve not had this happen, but it’s an old YJ. Always plan for something to go wrong.

Couldent resist this one.

By Nanci Dixon
A 2021 Jeep Rubicon with less than 10,000 miles was recently brought in for service to a dealer in Florida. The Jeep was in for repair after being flat towed behind an RV. What the owner found out should scare everyone with a tow vehicle. Read carefully.

Jeeps are known for their ease of flat towing, but only when the directions are followed. Instead of neutral, the owner had put the Jeep into 4-Low. Jeep clearly states in the owner’s manual, “Do not go over 25 MPH in 4-Low.”

Pulling in 4-Low at 55 MPH or more revved the engine to over 50,000 RPMs. The factory redline is 6,000 RPMs. As the wheels turned so did the driveshaft and transmission. The engine was rotated.

The crankshaft was sheared off. Pistons and rods went through the block. The clutch and flywheel slammed into the transmission bell housing and took out the input shaft. The back of block gone and the convertor hit. Flat towing in the wrong gear basically destroyed the engine.

The repair and replacement cost was more than $30,000 just on parts alone! Nope, the factory warranty doesn’t count here and it’s unknown how insurance will handle it.

Also one thing that I found out about flat towing my 92 YJ is that you need to follow the procedures in the manual. It is key to make sure the vacuum operated front axle is disconnected because when the T-case is in neutral the front and rear drive shafts are locked as if in 4wd. If you start the vehicle and shut it off in anything other than 2h, the front axle may stay connected.
And keep it in 5th gear as per previous reasons.