What are you all listening to?

SirDoopYJ

YJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
I have the Spotify app, and listen to just about anything on it. The stuff I normally do avoid is mainstream music, I haven't really listened to mainstream music since college 7 years ago. There are a few exceptions though.

I am not familiar with specific sub genres, but right now I mainly listen to hardrock/screamo, EDM (Drum N' Bass and Drumstep sub genres are my favorite), classical, oldies, hair metal, 80s, blues.

For October and the spirit of Halloween I am listening to Ice Nine Kills. They are a mixture of hard rock and screamo. Check out their The Silver Scream album. Every other song on that album is based on a slasher film (Freddy, Jason, Michael, etc..). I would recommend listening to:

"Enjoy Your Slay"
"IT Is The End" - First song I heard from them and loved.
"Thriller" - cover song
"Stabbing In The Dark"
"Thank God It's Friday"
"A Grave Mistake"

So, what do you guys listen to? Let me know what you guys recommend. I look forward to checking it out!

I love the '50s instrumental stuff, but I'm an Old Guy.
Grew up listening to '70s & '80s pop, but these days I pretty much just listen to AM talk radio.
Do still occasionally enjoy some good Metal, though.
Metallica, Nightwish, White Zombie, etc.

Reactions: SirDoopYJ
I'll listen to about anything. Cody Jinks, The Steel Woods, The Steel Drivers, Sturgill Simpson, Tyler Childers, Whitey Morgan & the 78's, Waylon Jennings, Ryan Bingham, Jamey Johnson, The Black Crowes, Blackberry Smoke, Colter Wall, Drive-By-Truckers, Jason Isbell, Whiskey Myers, Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, Rolling Stones, Metallica, Slayer, Pantera, White Zombie, System of a Down, 2Pac, Notorious BIG, Upchurch just to name a few.....

Reactions: SirDoopYJ
I love the '50s instrumental stuff, but I'm an Old Guy.
Grew up listening to '70s & '80s pop, but these days I pretty much just listen to AM talk radio.
Do still occasionally enjoy some good Metal, though.
Metallica, Nightwish, White Zombie, etc.
My dad got me into the oldies, and my uncle got me into 80s metal. Slash from Guns N' Roses is the reason I picked up the guitar and tried learning to play. The first songs I learned was Iron Man from Black Sabbath and Nothing Else Matters from Metallica. When I started college I got so busy I couldn't really practice anymore. Haven't touched it since. I wonder if I still got it.

Skid Row is my favorite from that era.

I'll listen to about anything. Cody Jinks, The Steel Woods, The Steel Drivers, Sturgill Simpson, Tyler Childers, Whitey Morgan & the 78's, Waylon Jennings, Ryan Bingham, Jamey Johnson, The Black Crowes, Blackberry Smoke, Colter Wall, Drive-By-Truckers, Jason Isbell, Whiskey Myers, Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, Rolling Stones, Metallica, Slayer, Pantera, White Zombie, System of a Down, 2Pac, Notorious BIG, Upchurch just to name a few.....
Really diggin the The Steel Woods so far

Reactions: jeepjoe43
Never heard of Steel Woods, had to Youtube it.
I like it!
Their lead guitarist died back in January. They put out a previously recorded album "All of your Stones" in May. That was his last album to record. They picked up a new guitarist and I don't think they've missed a beat. I'd love to see them in concert sometime.

I grew up in Los Angeles. Gazzarries on the strip and places like that where many bands got started. The alt and punk movement came to LA which was interesting to say the least. Saw so many great shows at the Sports arena in LA. Was supposed to see Zepplin but Bonham passed and the tour was cancelled. i'll never forget Jethro Tull's keyboardist...in the air with a keyboard on either side of him playing both at 100 mph. Hell, I couldn't operate 2 paint brushes at once. Sex,drugs and rock and roll back then. Now its old country,oldies and some classic and alt rock. Im so out of touch with today's music I haven't a clue who's who anymore and based off some of it I've heard thats a good thing. Only get 2 radio stations where we live ya know. I will add once they get political I say adios pretty much.

Reactions: jeepjoe43
I don't get the alt rock either, completely out of my scope of music.
One of my favorite songs is "Let's Go" by the Routers.
Gotta go back to 1962 for that one. Good stuff that had heart...
Though Steppenwolf and Van Halen are close on their heels.
Tull is great too.

Last edited: