Welded Nut

Zacc

Hi All. My cousin just bought a "new" old '89 YJ Wrangler recently. It has a Curt Manufacturing 2" hitch on it (#S015). I've toyed with the idea of replacing it with a more substantial aftermarket bumper with recovery points (shackles) built in. Nothing fancy, just something basic and beefier for potential recovery purposes. But I've run into a couple problems with the old hitch.
It's attached with 8 bolts vertically, 4 on either side. It also has 1 bolt on either side that attaches under the hitch, bolting up into the bolt holes under the frame.
The left side bolt is snapped off with some portion of the bolt still threaded in the bolt hole. I'm guessing I'd have to attempt to drill and use an extractor to try to get that bolt piece out. I've never had to do that before but I see no other option.
Perhaps the bigger issue is the right side. It still has the bolt in place. Although it's almost snug it turns freely with a minimum of effort. That leads me to believe the welded nut inside the frame has broken loose and that's why the bolt turns freely.
I could cut the bolt off but I have no idea how I might be able to fasten another bolt on that side of the bumper. I'm assuming the nut inside was tack welded on the inside of the frame hole (at the factory?) to accept bolts and hold the nut in place so a bolt could be tightened.
I see no way to access the inside of the frame in hopes of having another nut welded (?) in place. I know nothing is impossible and I can't believe I'm the only owner to have faced this dilemma. But I'm stumped on how to remedy this issue. I'm hoping the vast experience reflected in this forum might be able to point me towards a solution. At this point I'm willing to just keep the old hitch. But it, as well as any other hitch/bumper I might replace it with, will be in jeopardy it I can't address this issue.
Thank you in advance for any help or suggestions you may have.

IIRC your 89 is the same as my 91 was. That being said I put a receiver hitch on in that used 4 bolts on each end thru the 4 frame cross member holes and 1 on the underside. Again best of my recollection the 4 on either end were installed by working the nuts and washers into the back of the frame ends. The bottom ones used factory nuts that were welded on. Some bumpers say to drop the gas tank to access the nuts you'll need to install it, I never have on the several jeeps Ive worked on. That loose bolt in the welded nut can probably be cut off at the head with a metal cut off wheel and tapped up thru the hole and removed. Might have to use a mech magnet gizmo to reach it but who knows. Far as getting the bottom nut back in there you might try installing a flanged or ribbed head bolt from the topside using a "curt fish wire" The bolt should not spin when you try to tighten up the nut from the bottom.

Reactions: ytradio