Weird electrical issue

Sparkyaclown

I have a very intermittent issue that I just can't figure out, mainly because I can't duplicate it once it starts working again. A couple of times over the past 6 months or so I will go out to start the Jeep and there is no power. If I disconnect and reconnect the battery, the lights in the dash will come on but as soon as I try to crank it nothing happens and it loses power again. What I discovered fixes it is to remove the fuse for the ignition and reinsert it. Then everything works fine for a couple of months, it's a daily driver so it never sits for any length of time. The fuse is very tight so it doesn't seem to be worn contacts, the fuse box is completely dry so not a moisture issue and I can't find any loose wires. This is my first YJ and so I am new to some of the quirks associated with them. This one I haven't been successful in finding anything online yet but was hoping maybe someone on here could point me in the right direction of where to look.

Take it to a local autoparts store and have them run a quick and free battery load test. I've had batteries go bad just like that. The headlights are bright with the engine off but as soon as I's try to start it there's complete darkness.

Corrosion is not your friend. I've had bad battery cables which look great on the outside but the inside is corroded down to a white powder and did the same thing.

I recommend pulling every fuse and relay and cleaning the tabs and slots. That will eliminate many problems.

Take it to a local autoparts store and have them run a quick and free battery load test. I've had batteries go bad just like that. The headlights are bright with the engine off but as soon as I's try to start it there's complete darkness.

Corrosion is not your friend. I've had bad battery cables which look great on the outside but the inside is corroded down to a white powder and did the same thing.

I recommend pulling every fuse and relay and cleaning the tabs and slots. That will eliminate many problems.
The old battery actually died about a month ago and replaced so I've already eliminated that as a problem. I was considering changing the battery cables but was thrown off by the fact that pulling the fuse seems to fix it every time while pulling the cables and cleaning the terminals only restores the power until you try and crank the engine almost like something in the ignition system is shorting out but won't resets until you pull the fuse.

Reactions: Flyer58

I'd pull the fuse panel off the firewall, Two bolts from the fuse side and look at the back side where the wiring connect to the female receptacles meets them.. might have a corrosion problem or a broken wire that is intermittently losing contact.