Upgraded wiring harness/fuse panel

Shaker

Having multiple electric issues. Received jeep with massive rat/rodent nest under dash. Severe rusting on may components. Radio was noting but a cube of rust. Already removed the ecm/ignition module, carb and distributor. standard carb and HEI installed to basic car/distributor set up. Here in lyes the question. The fuse block looks like hell as well. Has anyone replaced with an after market harness/block set up? If so who would you recommend and was it as simple as advertised with wire markings etc. Harness is out of engine bay now. This would be the time to replace. I found a kit for $98 buck from National speed depot on ebay for $98. Any help or advice would be appreciated.

Regardless of a new harness with what sounds like lots of rust Id make a new ground cable from the engine to the frame, frame to body, as in rear of the front clip and front clip to frame. All landed on clean shiny metal. far as harnesses,... cant help there buy there has to be a few out there like painless and the one you mention.

Just got my Jeep home from New River AZ, and found Packraticus Bastardicus had molested some of my New wiring.
New river is infamous for pack rats KILLING vehicles.
Destructive Sons of Magicians!!!

Reactions: Gilaguy23
Just got my Jeep home from New River AZ, and found Packraticus Bastardicus had molested some of my New wiring.
New river is infamous for pack rats KILLING vehicles.
Destructive Sons of Magicians!!!
Them bastages along with a few choice others vermiticus bastardicus species ate right thru the copper wires in the new 07 Chevy I bought back then. Ive been told Chevy along with a few others use Soy based insulation on their harnesses. We've tried just about everything known to man to keep them out from the vehicles. far as under the hood goes we've had good luck so leaving the hoods open. Were fortunate to have a barn and garage to keep vehicles in though.

Reactions: jeepjoe43
Sorry bout the critter issues fellas. That is just another reason I am leaning towards a complete wiring over haul. Doin research now as to a best a fit I can get. If I have removed all the smog and emissions crap there may be a slight chance I have missed or crossed something. I have nothing to lose at this point by just doing a complete swap and removing that variable too. The steering column is out for tilt repairs and a new ignition switch. the engine compartment harness is out. I am half way there. So ta hell with it. Its a jeep how complicated can it be? Not to mention I can customize the routing a bit better. I have already raised the solinoid to an easier access point beside the battery tray and made custom fit cables. Why stop now ? LMAO :LOL:

Used to have a '43 GPW that I re-wired from scratch after finding all four of the Ford regulator wires connected together.
The wiring under the cowl WAS the rat nest, but she'd been cowboy'd together for 40 years and was literally a Ranch Rescue.

I ripped out ALL of the wiring and just the wiring under the cowl filled a 5 gallon bucket.
All it had was Ignition, Starter, Hi/Lo Headlights ,Tail/Brake lights and NOTHING else.
What the other 10 miles of wire were/had been for, not a clue.
Cowboys...
Six simple circuits later, It had everything I needed and I knew what went where because i put it there.

The YJ factory spaghetti, not so much....

What are they ????? LMAO :p Half the people on the road have no clue what they mean nowadays. I don't even think they require them to get your license any longer. just ordered a kit. I hope it isn't a pos.

LOL! True that!

I hope your kit goes well. Who made it?
If I didn't want to keep my FI so much, I'd be right in your foot steps.
Keep the faith, brother! I know you'll get there.

The company is called Vevor. Its a 21 circuit setup. I pondered and shop amazon for the last 3 days. They had a rating of 5 stars but no reviews. kinda odd but I went with it at 137 bucks. I have a sneaking suspicion I should have went with a painless universal but it was a bit to salty for this project. Ill have to send pics of changes.

That is kinda weird. Never heard of them, at least your not out much coin if it goes tits-up...
I've wasted about 10-15 times that on this project with my various SNAFUs :poop:
Painless may have been better, but they're definitely NOT Painless to the wallet, but how good do need to go B2B?

Looking forward to the pics and your progress!

New harness is to be delivered today. I still need to send pics as promised but haven't gotten around to it. Will update as I progress.

As for the kit it is on amazon. Pull up Vevor 21 circuit wiring harness kit. That should get ya right to it.

Brought it to work. Im gonna check continuity on the wires and connectors. Some reviews of other brands complained of bad circuits. also bad connections in the rear of the panel. id rather find them on the bench prior to install. I have to download pics from phone but will send.

Well all tested good. Fuses and all wire connections. Took about 2 hours of methodic testing but the bundles are put together in a specific order and had to go back together the same way. Next is the slow tedious install. At work and work puter wont let me send pics. Ill do that this weekend with a nice cold one in hand.:cool: