Trouble installing new steering coupler

SirDoopYJ

YJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
93 with power steering.

I removed the old steering coupler(the shaft between column and steering box) successfully, but I am having trouble installing the new one. I am trying to connect it to the box first, lining up the grooves, but it goes on only a 1/4 inch and stops.

Am I suppose to grease it, oil it, add soap to get it so slide on or do I need a shim to open the gap of the opening a bit?

93 with power steering.

I removed the old steering coupler(the shaft between column and steering box) successfully, but I am having trouble installing the new one. I am trying to connect it to the box first, lining up the grooves, but it goes on only a 1/4 inch and stops.

Am I suppose to grease it, oil it, add soap to get it so slide on or do I need a shim to open the gap of the opening a bit?
I would try the grease first, I don't think you should have to hammer it on, it should slide down with a reasonable amount of effort. It shouldn't take an unreasonable amount of effort to get it on there.

Have you tried re-installing the old part to gauge how difficult it should be?

Reactions: SirDoopYJ and Chris
I would try the grease first, I don't think you should have to hammer it on, it should slide down with a reasonable amount of effort. It shouldn't take an unreasonable amount of effort to get it on there.

Yeah, I have tried reinstalling the old part and it slides on the splines of the gear box no problem.

I will try grease and or WD-40 to hopefully help slide it on.

Still no luck with grease and WD-40. I have watched some videos and they put the new ones on with no problem. I am doing my best not to force it.

Tried lightly tapping it with a mallet. Got it on after 5 mintutes of tapping. Now it won't come off. Had to use a wrench along with a mallet to bang it off. It shouldn't be this ridiculous. I am going to see if Quadratech will allow me to exchange it for a new one even though I banged the crap out of it.

20201105_140352.jpg

20201105_140333.jpg

20201105_140302.jpg

20201105_140319.jpg

20201105_140250.jpg

20201105_140324.jpg

20201105_140245.jpg

20201105_140241.jpg