Today's Jeep Project

Flyer58

YJ Enthusiast
With lots of free time I'm sure everyone's been able to something to their Jeep.

This week I was able to install the engine and transmission, skid pan, new U-joints, and hook up all the wiring, vacuum and fuel lines. Added the fluids and primed the engine oil pump.

Getting closer each day.

1a.jpg

Looks like progress is being made. Like you said, with all this down time, I'm sure we all have more time to be getting stuff done.

Unless of course you have three little kids like I do, and then they're taking up all your time :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: Flyer58
Welded the threaded stud back on the top of the shift lever that I broke off trying to remove the knob a while back. Finally got the stub and lock nut separated from the knob.

1a.jpg

Haha... damn, the previous owner shifted so hard he broke the threaded portion of the rod off :LOL:

Haha... damn, the previous owner shifted so hard he broke the threaded portion of the rod off :LOL:

Yeah that's funny. I figured the AX5 would have come apart first. He sauid he was trying to remove the shift knob and it snapped off. The locking nut and broken stud were still in the knob and was very tight. It needed a few days of soaking and a little heat to work it loose.

Reactions: Chris
Yeah that's funny. I figured the AX5 would have come apart first. He sauid he was trying to remove the shift knob and it snapped off. The locking nut and broken stud were still in the knob and was very tight. It needed a few days of soaking and a little heat to work it loose.

Given the fragile nature of the AX-5, I would have to agree that I would have thought the same thing.

If that story is true, that shift knob really must have been on there. Either that or the guy had a hell of a grip!

It all started with a familiar (to some) clunking in the rear D35 differential.

Long story longer...

I found the D35 fluid level was slightly low so maybe the C-clips are banging a little louder then normal. The fluid just doesn't vaporize unless it's been many years or if there's a leak so the next step was to remove cover and change the fluid but also remove the brake drums, pull the axels, and change the outer seals.

Well the rear brakes are shot. Maybe leaking around the axle seal although it was hard to tell because of all the dust, rust and mud.

Anyhow along with new gear oil I also picked up new shoes, a hardware kit, had the drums turned, and I'll also add new seals and slave cylinders. Probably outer bearings too but I don't have the tool to pull them out.

Reactions: Fouledplugs