Timing

Tree top flyer

Supporting Member
I am having an issue with starting my 4.2l It will turn over, then hesitate, then run. I just “milled”the head .0060, and installed a Howard cam. It has more compression, and that may contribute to the hesitation, But i think it is more timing that anything else. HELP!!

If you got it to run it cant be to far off timing wise. Being you have mods many advance the timing till you get a ping or detonation and back off 3 degrees or so and see what that gets you. if it seems like its batteling against itself and hard to turn over Id say its to far advanced. Balancers slip, marks move so you may be off quite a bit. But I gotta ask when you say it cranks,then stops? then starts? explain a bit would ya.

Reactions: Stoopid Jeep
I am having an issue with starting my 4.2l It will turn over, then hesitate, then run. I just “milled”the head .0060, and installed a Howard cam. It has more compression, and that may contribute to the hesitation, But i think it is more timing that anything else. HELP!!

Ideally, throw a timing light on it, or power time it like Gilaguy23 suggested.
Double check every nut bolt and vacuum line.
Are the ignition components all in excellent condition??
Valves all set correctly?
There a lot of variables when doing a head/cam swap. Just kinda throwin' darts at the wall here.