Thoughts and opinions on potential 91 YJ purchase

Damn, I'd avoid that rust bucket like the plague.
Is it that rusty? The frame has coating which prevents contact with air. I thought that'd be solid protection against further rust. And is the frame that bad to "avoid like the plague"?

Is it that rusty? The frame has coating which prevents contact with air. I thought that'd be solid protection against further rust. And is the frame that bad to "avoid like the plague"?
The coating is ideally applied before the rust, not after.

Once rust is set in, it’s likey to continue eating it’s way through.

If the tub andninteriornis really nice, buy it and swap it for a frame from South of Tenn or from out west like SoCal.

The coating is ideally applied before the rust, not after.

Once rust is set in, it’s likey to continue eating it’s way through.

If the tub andninteriornis really nice, buy it and swap it for a frame from South of Tenn or from out west like SoCal.
would grinding the rust out then applying a new coat be a viable option, or is it too late for that? How much do frame swaps cost?

My regeared 2.5 is OK for power and lots of fun on the trail. That said I'd hate to put it behind an auto. I'd skip that one. I thought the 91 six was the 4.2L.

would grinding the rust out then applying a new coat be a viable option, or is it too late for that? How much do frame swaps cost?
I dont think there is enough metal there to remove it and re-coat it.

There are option to cut it all out and weld in replacement metal.

A frame swap would be the most expensive way to resolve it. Buying the frame, shipping the frame, and then paying someone to swap it would have significant cost. But it’s what I would do.

Whats also concerning to me is how high the shackles are on that YJ. Seems to me its very top heavy and prone to tipping over. Is there any merit to my concerns?

Whats also concerning to me is how high the shackles are on that YJ. Seems to me its very top heavy and prone to tipping over. Is there any merit to my concerns?
Sure, it’s an SUV.

Ever seen a bone stock YJ? They sit low on their and I would never be concerned about rolling over through a turn or on some trail. Although I do wish I knew their belly height.

That said, you arnt going on any fun or challenging trails with a stock YJ.

Reactions: jeepjoe43
The longer shackles are concerning because they tend to sway more than short ones.
Especially if they removed the anti-sway and track bars which they probably did.
The body lift makes it less top heavy than if they did just a suspension lift, but something in that body lift doesn't look right.

I've had a 4cyl 5spd 87, a 6cyl auto 90, and currently have a 4cyl auto 95. the first 2 I sold running perfect with over 210K each on the ticker and they never gave me problems. The 95 I just picked up with 186K for a good deal, and also because the mileage doesnt scare me- they are almost bulletproof if given regular maintenance.

With the 87 and 90, I almost couldnt tell the difference when driving them. The 95 is a little anemic, but I really only use half the year for tooling around town and going to the beach, and its still fun to drive.

I'd make sure I took that jeep out on the highway for a good shakedown run and see how it drives with that setup. I get concerned when people cover up the corners and rockers with steel plate- I'd try to get a feel behind those to see how the body is holding up. And I'm ALWAYS skeptical about a freshly painted frame in anything other than a fresh resto. Bring a poker and a magnet for the frame.